Views
Helpful
Replies

Do I need separate Access Points?

jaighobahi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am reading Cisco documentation on Wireless Local Area Network, but it is getting kind of confusing.   If I need to design for wireless mobility in a network to support data, voice and guest, do I need to provide separate AP for data, separate AP for voice and separate AP for guest access?  Isn't there an AP that can support all three groups in one box?

Thanks,

Joe

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Can you please mark this Thread as "Answered" if you have no further questions?  Thank you very much.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
If I need to design for wireless mobility in a network to support data, voice and guest, do I need to provide separate AP for data, separate AP for voice and separate AP for guest access?

Yes and no.  Each autonomous AP can support up to 16 SSID.  Controller-based can support up to 16 as well BUT if you have the firmware of 6.X and later then you can support up to 256 SSID with some funky configuration.

NOTE:  To those who are reading this and know about the 5.X firmware, I ain't going to recommend anyone to this version.

Thanks a lot.  When you say "funky configuration", are you implying complex configuration?

Joe

No.  Funky configuration like AP Groups. 

Noted.  Thanks

Can you please mark this Thread as "Answered" if you have no further questions?  Thank you very much.

rupert.wever
Level 1
Level 1

You do not need separate ap's for each application. Best-practice recommendation is to have separate wlans/ssids and map them to different vlans. That helps segment the data for qos as well as security.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: