Views
Helpful
Replies

Fast Roaming with 7920 Wireless IP Phones

Alex Bagaglio
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there!

i'm trying to configure Cisco Fast Secure Roaming with my two 1200 APs and our 7920 Wireless IP Phones.

I've configured WDS as described in the documentation and with my Cisco 350 WLAN card fast roaming works fine.

I can switch from one AP to the other without interuptions.

Now i want to do the same with a 7920.

But if i roam from a AP to another the phone has a little interruption.

Can anyone tell me if fast roaming is supported by the 7920?

Is there anything specific i have to configure?

The VoIP Phone has the Firmware 1.0.5 installed.

thanks for your answers

alex

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Actually I can tell you for a fact that the 7920 does not currently support cisco Fast Secure Roaming (roaming using the WDS).

The 7920 currently has its own form of fast roaming which speeds up 802.11 channel scanning, but does not spead up the LEAP messaging overhead.

Please ask you account team about future enhancements to the 7920 roaming algorithm.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

a-vazquez
Level 6
Level 6

Yes, Roaming is supported on 7920, for further details check the following URL,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_white_paper09186a00801ca827.shtml#understanding_roaming

Actually I can tell you for a fact that the 7920 does not currently support cisco Fast Secure Roaming (roaming using the WDS).

The 7920 currently has its own form of fast roaming which speeds up 802.11 channel scanning, but does not spead up the LEAP messaging overhead.

Please ask you account team about future enhancements to the 7920 roaming algorithm.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card