Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

help on wireless broadband

Hi,

I have a customer outside the USA and want to

set up a wireless internet service within 20-30

miles radius of a city.

What is the best way to do this?

thanks

murat

mkose@nurtel.com

5 REPLIES

Re: help on wireless broadband

Cisco's WT2750 solution.

Hi Murat,

If you haven't found enough info let me know.

Anthony

Sir,

I found one of you discussions and I could not find the solution. I have a similar challenge of setting up wireless internet services within 20-30 miles radius of a city and I hope that the answer to that same challenge will also benefit me. Can you please explain the solution that you gave Mr Murat's challenge at that time to me?

Regards,

Adebowale Nureni

Operations Manager

Farnet Systems

Proprietary solutions like LMDS and MMDS are doing just that. Actually, MMDS is more appropriate in your case. (LMDS - Local Multipoint Distribution Service,

MMDS - Multichannel Multipoint Distribution Service)

MMDS is being used by Sprint Broadband to provide Wireless broadband in some areas, however, they stopped accepting new customers. Official explanation was that MMDS is not economical solution.

IEEE 802.16 is an emetging standard poised to replace MMDS/LMDS and promissing up to 155 Mbps in the 2-10 GHx lisenced and 11-63 unlicences spectrum. 802.16 is for building wireless metropolitan area networks as an economical method of high-speed (2 - 155Mbps ) "last-mile" connection to public networks.

802.16 was ratified last December. It may take another half a year to a year to see any GA 802.16 equipment on the market.

Regards,

Alec

WT2750 was killed off long ago.

LMDS and MMDS are licensed and may not be available in all countries.

U-NII and 802.16 are the right place to look for higher speeds (no Cisco products), but you can do what you are asking with 802.11b if correctly engineered.

If you want to serve mobile clients, you will need towers every kilometer.

Views
Helpful
Replies