cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with wireless phone setup

David Graham
Level 1
Level 1

I have set up the wireless network here and all is working well. We have 7 1130's an 9 1231G access points. We unfortunately have no controller so I had to set these all up by hand. Ihave computers connectig to one VLAN and everything works well. I can roam the building without issue.

My problem is with the 7920 wireless phone. I set up a phone vlan with the phone QOS and I am able to get the phone to reach Call Manager. I can place calls and receive calls and everything else. That is, until I roam. When I leave the first access point and move to another the phone tells me I have no service. If I turn off the phone and turn it back on I get picked up by the new access point and I can place cals and everything.

So, my question is what do I need to do to get the 7920 to roam. I have read the manual for the phone and it look slike I may have to set up some AP as a central regestration point, but I am unclear. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks much!

Dave

7 Replies 7

rprpalmer
Level 1
Level 1

What security are you using on the SSID and phone for the 7920's

I tried to use 128 bit WEP key but I kept on screwing up the key. So, I switched it over to 40 bit on both. If there is a better way to go that I can set up I'll do it. I am only married to any soltuion that will get this to work.

Are you using any other type of security such as MAC filters etc?

Non at all. I have the 3 vlans on the system. One is WPA, on is WEP-128, and then the voice vlan with WEP-40. Other then that it is pretty much straight out of the box as I rebuilt one right after resetting to factory defaults. Would the 1130 and 1231 configuration help? If so I can get that pulled down.

Are you getting, No Service-IP Config Failed?

If so, then is failing to re-DHCP, so would check the AP config (wep key) and the AP switchport is in trunking mode if phone is associated to non-native VLAN.

If using static WEP, best to copy the key from one config to all others. This will ensure that all are the same and no mis-key occurs.

With static WEP, can still associate if there is a key mismatch.

Ensure to use 3.02 on the 7920s and 12.3(8)JEA1 or higher for the autonomous APs.

The APs were up to the latest release but the phone was not. I was not thinking and even though the phone is only a couple months old I never updated the software on Call Manager. The config file on Call manager was back from the beginning of 2004. So, I downloaded the most recent one and put it on Call Manager, had the phone update, and now it roams. IT ROAMS!! YEAH!! Thank you all very much.

Can't believe I was that stupid.

Now to just figure out how to rate this thing

So assume you had version 1.08 loaded. Were some issues before, where BSSID was incorrect for reassocation requests. CSCeg33605 was fixed in release 1.09.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card