cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there any 802.11n wireless bridge or some bridge throughput close to 100M?

hxmengmetro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm looking for some enterprise wireless bridge. Is there any cisco 802.11n wireless bridge on the market? or some bridge close to 100Mbps throughput? Thanks.

Lou

5 Replies 5

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

AP 1250 is your only choice. Put the AP indoor and the antennas outdoor.

It's not a bridge "per se" but can function as a bridge. Drawback is that a limited set of antennas are supported.

Cisco will not come out with a replacer of the 1310/1410 that does 11n.

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

Hi;

I'm investigating the exact same thing. After seeing the caveat in the 1250 install guide that said "Don't use it as a bridge!"  (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1250/installation/guide/125h_c1.html) , I called the Cisco WiFi sales engineer assigned to our region, the brilliant and lovely Ms. K.

She clarified some items for me.

802.11n relies on several things for increased speed, two of which are multiple spacial data streams (currently two) and the 40MHz increased channel width. When you do point-point, apparently there is just not as much multipoint benefit. She said we would be lucky to see more than 50 Mbps real throughput on a bridge using 1252s at 100m range. BTW, she said that even though the install guide says the 1252s could not be used in bridge mode, she thought it would work; perhaps the 2007 guide is outdated.

So, we are going to get some antennas and test this. Will try to report back on the results.

Regarding Exalt, she did confirm that at present Cisco is re-branding and selling them as OEM and support would be direct through Exalt, not TAC. She would not speculate on looming acqusitions, but did jokingly observe that in the past, all the companies that Cisco absorbed went through an OEM re-sell phase ;p

http://www.exaltcom.com/sublanding.aspx?id=1512

Steve

Entirely correct. A 11n bridge would still benefit of the new modulations and channel bonding if any, so you get 70Mbps (theoretical) throughput instead of 54 more or less and around 150 if you go with 40mhz channel.

The 1250 did not originally support bridging (although it worked), hence the guide you are mentioning. Newer release notes indicate it's now ok to use it as a bridge.

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

It's not Cisco and won't be TAC supported.

I don't have the details of how "partner-ized" this product will be. But basically it's like buying that bridge to the other company.

Nicolas

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: