cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MSCB still in init state

stephendrkw
Level 3
Level 3

I have 2 WLAN SSID, one's working the other isn't! Recently one of our Controllers rebooted, and then one of of WLAN's stopped working. I've checked the configs and code and they are the same on both controllers. The WLAN that is not working I see the following log message:

Mar 19 09:40:31.464 apf_foreignap.c:1281 APF-4-REGISTER_IPADD_ON_MSCB_FAILED: Could not Register IP Add on MSCB. MSCB still in init state. Address:00:40:96:a7:50:c6

My laptop is connected and has authenticated to the WLAN but gets a default windows IP 169.254.36.162 same result with my IPhone. I know its not my laptops driver as the other WLAN on the same controller works fine. For some reason the client ARP cannot be added to the controller for this WLAN SSID. I found the following from Cisco, but just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions (fyi - controller software 4.2.207.0)

A. This is the error message:
APF−1−REGISTER_IPADD_ON_MSCB_FAILED: Could not RegisterIP Add on MSCB. MSCB still in init state.

The Mobile Station Control Block (MSCB) represents the clients. This error message means that a client tries to pass traffic, but the controller is not yet ready to accept the client traffic. These messages are generated when the controller gets an ARP request from a client but it has not added the IP address of the client to its client list. Once the controller adds the client IPaddress to its client list, everything should be fine. As a workaround, try to reboot the controller to see if it helps. Also, make sure you run the latest drivers for the wireless cards of the client because there have been several connectivity issues with older card drivers specifically with some third party wireless cards.

9 Replies 9

Bel Marsad
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Have you had a solution for this issue, I have exactly the same issue with the same error messages, could you please let me know if you resolved this issue.

Thanks for your help

Belmar

Generally a reboot of the WLC will fix this

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

That's correct, I had reboot WLC to fix this problem

I have also seen this error when implementing a guest WLC and the anchor controller does not have a mobility anchor on the SSID pointing local

What great insight!  Thanks, this fixed my issue.

Hello Teliskyj

thats good that it has resolved your problem - thank you for the vote

best regards

Darin

Stephen,

WLC reboot is not the best solution... Cisco should have the answer - why it happens at all?

As I found on the web http://www.virtxpert.com/cisco-wlan-controller-not-passing-traffic-resolved-but-not-sure-why/

"DHCP Addr. Assignment in the advanced section of the WLAN config" helps sometimes.

timoruohomaki
Level 1
Level 1

I noticed such errors after getting reports from the users that certain SSIDs wouldn't work while others do work. I'm not sure if there has been any major changes that would affect on this one, but we did upgrade our WLC's to version 7.0.230.0. Could that be a version-specific issue since rebooting WLC didn't help?

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

i agree

---

Posted by WebUser Sanoj KV from Cisco Support Community App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card