Replies

Multicast and Flexconnect Local Switching

helical_x
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Hope you can help with this -

I have the following:

A 5508 in a remote datacentre and several sites with AP's running in flexconnect mode, connected to cisco switches.

I have an ssid on which I want to run some push to talk "phones" which I believe use multicast.

What do I need to do to enable multicast for this, I have read many documents but I'm a little confused !

I need to enable multicast on the controller globally ?

Enable igmp snooping ?

Does multicast mode need to be multicast or unicast ?

Do I need a multicast address in this case ?

Do i need to configure the switches (2960) for any multicast configuration, there is none at present ?

The phones that do PTT will only need to talk to other phones locally at each site, but each site will have some phones, does this make any difference to anything ?

hope someone can help, thanks !

3 Replies 3

grabonlee
Level 4
Level 4

The guidelines for Flexconnect and Multicast are as follows:

1. Set the AP Multicate mode on the controller to Unicast (Multicast-Unicast Mode) : The wireless controller replicates the multicast packet and sends it to each Access Point in a Unicast CAPWAP Tunnel

2. L3 routing isn't required on the wired network

3. There will be high controller and wired network loading

4. No multicast address is required in multicast-unicast mode

5. No multicast configuration required on Layer 2 switches as CGMP is enabled  by default

blenka
Level 3
Level 3

Please go through the link may help you to address you problem.

Page no. 133 & 136 ( in controller )

The below link is for the configuration on 2960 switch.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_40_se/configuration/guide/swvoip.pdf

abwahid
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Go through link, which probably will help you to understand and implement multicasting.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/81671-multicast-wlc-lap.html

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card