Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Multicast on standalone AP

Please keep in mind that any solution that involves a lightweight AP and controller will not work for me.  I'm aware of the limitations of wireless in an 802.11 network in that multicast traffic is treated the same as broadcast traffic and thus is not sent at a rate higher than the lowest configure basic rate.  I've read that some people have luck getting better throughput when they disable lower rates (only >11Mbps are enabled and set as mandatory).  I have had minimal luck with this.  There is some increase, but not much.  Does anyone know of any means of making multicast work better in a standalone environment similar to what videostream does in a controller based environment?

Second, since the 802.11 standard has an acceptable loss rate of 1% to 10%, it doesn't work well with voice and video.  When I source a video at <512Kbps and verify that the receiver is getting at ~512Kbps, I can still see a fairly high number of dropped packets.  Does anyone know of a means of fixing this behavior in a standalone environment?

In all my testing, I was in a clean RF environment and free of any contention (the room was shielded).

3 REPLIES

Multicast on standalone AP

out of curiosity, what does the LAN side QoS look like?

Steve

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Re: Multicast on standalone AP

As for the drops. Try and keep your video clients at -67 or lower. Also make sure you have proper TX power between devices. I like to see 25mW on the Cisco AP, as most clients are 20-40mW.

As for Multicast, if you put your ap and client in the same vlan and multicast works then you know you have a config problem, such as IGMP or PIM.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________
Cisco Employee

Re: Multicast on standalone AP

You can try disabling igmp snooping on the standalone AP..

Also is the mcast devices on the same vlan or different vlans..

Make sure u have ip pim mode configured on the wired side and you can play with disabling igmp snooping on the vlan itself

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Views
Helpful
Replies