cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New to wireless VoIP - Best Practices?

mscherting
Level 1
Level 1

Any good primers out there on configuring Cisco WLC and switch gear for wireless VoIP?

I have a 50 year old building of masonry covered in wire mesh lath & plaster that wants WiFi with VoIP.  2.4Ghz propagation is marginal, 5Ghz is poor.

5508 WLC & 3702i APs.  I don't know what handsets will be used; probably not Cisco.

My questions revolve around security - authenticating the handsets and isolating them from data networks; voice WLAN config; voice VLAN config & QoS.

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Get a wireless site survey done with the emphasis on 5.0 Ghz.  When it comes to voice, you really want to leverage the 5.0 Ghz.  

Can't provide more info because your handset is an unknown.   Make sure your handset supports 5.0 Ghz, if possible.

abwahid
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

As far as handset is concern check Cisco wireless 7925G phone and which could be operate on both bands.

For QoS and Network security check the below best practice wlc configuration guide.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/82463-wlc-config-best-practice.html

abwahid,

Thanks for the document.  There are some good advanced tuning tips in it.  I will work through implementing some as I get the opportunity.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: