Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Peter Nugent
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am hoping someone out there has experience deploying a WLAN to support Skype.

Not being a voice guy usually relying on the different QoS profiles for voice and data I see an issue with skye potentially not getting the correct QoS profile.

I could always give the data WLAN a higher QoS priority but may be overthinking the issue here

Any help appreciated

2 Replies 2

Federico Ziliotto
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

If I understand the setup correctly, data clients are connecting through a data WLAN (QoS profile silver) and using Skype for voice calls.

If this is accurate, it all depends on how Skype and the wireless NIC from the client is marking the voice packets:

1. If they have a L3 marking with DSCP and a L2 CoS of 6 over the air, then keeping a QoS profile for best effort will automatically "downgrade" the marking of voice traffic, so you should maybe move to the QoS platinum profile.

When moving to QoS platinum profile, you may also want to check that WMM is enabled and that the 802.1p protocol is enabled on the WLC with a tag of '6':

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Mobility/emob41dg/ch5_QoS.html#wp1050774

2. If Skype and/or the wireless NIC from the client are not tagging the voice traffic for higher priorities and keeping it as best effort, there is not too much that we could influence from the WLC side.

Hope this helps some more.

Regards,

Fede

Vinay Sharma
Level 7
Level 7

Pete,

Please mark this Question as "Answered" if you got the correct information from Fede.

thanks,

Vinay

Thanks & Regards
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card