Views
Helpful
Replies

the correct way...

IngGerardo013
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

I have the next situation, 9 LAPs 1142N, i wish to convert them to autonomous, it seems that there is a 2 ways, with a simple copy tftp flash: commands and force them to charge the IOS.default  image(holding the mode button), what is the correct way??

I used the first one (copy tftp flash and etc commands) decompressing the winrar file downloaded (c1140-k9w7-tar.124-25d.JA1) and just selecting the .JA file inside, then using the boot system command, but when a try to use the browser appears with out menus! buttons and etc options!, I supose that I need to charge ALL winrar file, but how? some suggestion??

Sorry 4 my English hehehe...

22 Replies 22

OK, it looks like you are trying a couple of things simultaneously.  You have renamed the image to .default (c1140-k9w7-tar.default) in one instance (to use the mode button).  In another, you have extracted the archive before loading.  The AP trys to extract the file, therefore when it opens the file ending in .JA1 is is confused-- thus the message %Error opening file...

Lets do this, because it seems clear your TFTP is working.

1. Have the following file in the root directory of your TFTP server: c1140-k9w7-tar.124-25d.JA1.tar  ** do not extract this file **

From the AP, it seems you are already addressed and have forced AP to not reload so lets issue the following command...

2. #archive download-sw /f /o tftp:///c1140-k9w7-tar.124-25d.JA1.tar

AP should then be able to "open" the file and with the archive command given above the AP will have extracted the image and overwritten as the boot image and then reload your AP.

Give that a shot and tell us what you find

I can not overwrite the copressed files (winrar archive) using the command archive.... because I could not copy that files to the LAP´s flash.. That is the first problem... trying to use the button mode procedure... it seems that can not find my lap top because I hold a constant ping to 10.0.0.2 (my tftp server) and not responds when I hold the button after the turn on the ap:

this is the error message:

examining image...

%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/c1140-k9w7-tar.default (invalid argument)

ap:

So.. Did you do what I said in the post above?  Now you're talking about mode button again.  Can you perform the archive command I mentioned above for the non-extracted raw image file you downloaded?

#archive download-sw /f /o tftp:///c1140-k9w7-tar.124-25d.JA1.tar

Bottom line, if you feel the AP cannot "find" or communicate via TFTP to your client, this is not the APs problem.  Try another Client all together; perhaps it is blocking TFTP communication via software security, firewall, etc.

I'm not sure if you performed the steps above that I mentioned.

David Watkings,

Your answer was tried in the same discution, but it did not work,

Today I tried again 5 times using a new downloaded image from cisco.. I wanted to Imp Pt and show you, why 5 times? well because when I configured the ip on int giga0, after some seconds LAP erease my ip configurated, I dont know why

but in the 5 time finally charged the compressed files!,

This is part of a project that originaly has been planed to use WLC, client at the last minute refuse the WLC, but the order purchase was made, he told us that in a future he will migrate to a WLC, I hope do not have the same problems to re-convert the now autonomus AP to LAP.

I have to give thanks to all people that dynamically participated in this discution,

If someone could explain me why the LAP do not held the ip configurated, I would be great!

Now I am going to convert 8 LAP more.. I hope no have the same problems using the new downloaded the tar file..

thanks a lot, and saludations

Have you tried this with another client yet?  It looks like the problem is "opening" the file.  Even though the AP can ping your laptops IP, it doesn't seem like it can initate a TFTP session, for reasons I mentioned prior.

The reason your AP is getting a new address is because it is lightweight.  It is attempting to discover the WLC and once it exhausts all it's methods, it re-DHCPs and starts over; this will happen over and over every 1-2 minutes.  I was under the impression you have already overcome this as this could be interrupting your TFTP transfers.

Do this before attempting the TFTP transfer from the AP CLI.  This allows you to configure the interface as well as prevent the LAP from re-loading.  Dont try and autofill these commands because they are hidden, just type them in as they appear below.

#debug capwap console cli

#debug capwap client no-reload

#config t

#(config) int gig 0 (or whatever your ethernet interface is)

#(config-if) no ip address dhcp

#(config-if) ip address

#end

#archive download-sw /f /o tftp:///c1140-k9w7-tar.124-25d.JA1.tar

Now your AP should have a static address and not be reloading.  I have seen these be tempermental sometimes, so once you get the address set, don't waste any time issuing the TFTP command to kick off the transfer.

This was the result:

AP003a.99eb.5d12#debug capwap console cli
CAPWAP console CLI allow/disallow debugging is on -----THIS COMMAND WAS EXECUTED SOME TIMES TO TRY RECONOZISE THE NEXT COMMAND----
AP003a.99eb.5d12#debug capwap client no-reload
                                     ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker. --.COMMAND WAS NOT ACCEPTED WRITTING DOWN COMPLETE---

AP003a.99eb.5d12#

I could not to avoid that LAP erease the IP configurated..but the important was to charge the tar file..

So you got this AP converted properly?  I'm extremely curious "what" fixed your problem.  Was it the archive command I provided?

Yeap, after load the tar file, I could access to the web interface with out any problems due to all files are in the flash,

I commented that I download the image again, because I "played" many times with the first downloaded image.. extracting the content, changing the extention etc etc and maybe that operations corrupted the files...

this was the solution:

debug capwap console cli

int gi0

ip add 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.0

archive download-sw /force /over tftp://10.0.0.2/c1140-k9w7-tar.124-25d.JA1.tar

salutations

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card