cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

traffic surveillance

borque
Level 1
Level 1

I am developing a project of traffic surveillance in a segment that covers 8 km of road approximately. I want to place a field station in the middle of the segment so that I can manage the cameras from it. I have to deal with long bandwidth (802.11a) but also with long distances (802.11b), so I do not know which kind of devices will be the best to use. Thank you.

2 Replies 2

michael_r_clark
Level 1
Level 1

How many cameras? Which CODECs? How many people view the image at a time? You can get great integrated IP camera servers that use wavelet compression, and therefore, don't use very much bandwidth. Are you recording? You may not need 802.11a at all, which simplifies some of the network. I have done IP cameras over wireless to moving vehicles. Scale, speed, numbers count. Any details would help. You can email directly, if you wish. My ID is my email.

sooki.choi
Level 1
Level 1

It's very good idea to combine the 802.11a and 802.11b.

The codec should be considered. In my case. The bandwidth of MJPEG and MPEG2 is over 1.5Mbps, especially in the best quality condion it occupies over 5Mpbs. And the DVR is not controlling the network condition. The bandwith of H.263 codec is under 500kbps. The kind of codec (DVR), the throughput of WLAN and swithc/router should be considered. If you want the surveillinace testing report, send me e-mail at csooki@djn.ne.kr. Please understand that the description is written in Korean, but you can read the test result in ppt file.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card