cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade/convert 521 to LWAPP

tato386
Level 6
Level 6

I have a 526 controller and 4 521 APs on my LAN that I want to upgrade to LWAPP. I am using CCA and all the help says this should be a point-and-click type of thing. However, when I try the upgrade the CCA asks for an image I don't have and can't find in the CCA folder. The download section for the 521 doesn't have it either. Where can I get this image? Is there another way to upgrade?

Thanks in advance,

Diego

9 Replies 9

christep
Level 1
Level 1

Did you ever get an answer to this? I'm in the same situation? I have a WLC 526 w/ 4 521's but now LWAPP 521's. Can you upgrade the 521's to LWAPP mode so the WLC526 can see them and manage them or are they a seperate product you have to purchase? There are 2 diff. part numbers. One for autonomous and another for LWAPP.

Thanks, for your answer!

Yes. What you need to do is to go to the IOS section of the software downloads and get the "recovery image" for LWAPP. This is what was tripping me up because I was hesitant to use a "recovery" image on a piece of hardware that was working OK. Anyway, download this to your CCA machine and select this file when you use the convert to LWAPP option on CCA. Worked like a charm for me. BTW after I converted the APs they magically connected/associated to my 526. Not sure how this happened, CDP maybe? In any case if they had not done this I wouldn't know how to get them to connect to the 526 and I haven't seen any doc on how to go this.

Good luck,

christep
Level 1
Level 1

Can you please let me know the code. It didn't come throught but this is the exact thing I'm trying to do!

Thanks,

Chris

What do you mean by "code"? If your CCO login doesn't allow you to download it you have to associate it with a contract that covers the hardware. I can't help you with that, sorry.

I have the right recovery code but the CCA topology map doesn't even see any of my 521 AP's. It can see the WLC526 and it can see the 3560 PoE switch it's attached to, but those are the only 2 items on the topology map. I'm using native VLAN as 100. I set the ports the 521's into a trunk ports w/ native vlan as 100 so I can http to the 521 AP's. I'm using 3 vlans, voice, guest, and internal users but I just can't get them to join the WLC as LWAPPS??? Frustrating!! Any ideas? All the documentation shows the AP's showing in the topology map and then you just point/click to LWAPP recovery image to convert them from autonmouse to LWAPP but I can't even see them in the topology map yet I can ping and web to them and they seem fine. I could probably leave them all autonomous and manually configure all 5 and have it work anyways but I'd be waisting the WLC 526 and it would serve no purpose?!?!?!

Thanks!!!

I believe CCA uses CDP for that type of stuff. Don't know what to do other than getting on the switch and doing "sho cdp neigh" to see if the switch sees the AP's. Maybe CDP is being blocked on certain ports.

The switch can definately see the AP's via "show cdp ne" but still not showing in the topology map. I've seen some topics adding DHCP option 43 and option 60 to get the LWAPP's to see the controller. Did you have to specify that on your DHCP scope configuration for your AP's?

I've seen documentation saying using the DHCP option 43 and option 60 vendor specific configurations under the DHCP scopes. Did you have to do this for your 521 LWAP's to see your 526 WLC?

Thanks,

Chris

I did not have to use any special options on my DHCP server. I have a Windows DHCP server on the native VLAN and a CME box on my voice LAN. Both of these IPs were entered in the 526 config.

Rgds,

Diego

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card