cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Video Conferencing using a Cisco WLAN model 350 radio on the client

gtelles
Level 1
Level 1

We started a video conference from a wireless workstation - a Cisco 350 client associated with a Cisco 350 Access Point.

We successfully transmitted video and audio from the wireless to the other station on a different ip network, but we were unable to receive video and audio from the other station to the wireless station. We are using A.P. code 11.21 and the latest code for the model 350 radio 4.25.30.

7 Replies 7

sheltonk
Level 1
Level 1

gtelles

TANDBERG videoconferencing units (models 550 and 880, http://www.tandbergvision.com) host a wireless 11b card that enables the units to be used in a wireless indoor environment. You may wish to explore this option for connections within your environment as long at it is indoor. I also know that through TANDBERG's association with Cisco that the Cisco 11b PCMCIA cards are supposed to work in these units. I am sure someone on this message board will be able to share with you how technically the connections must be made in order to make them function properly.

Hope that helps.

Ken

blue.modal
Level 1
Level 1

What result do you get on the same IP subnet?

On the same subnet it is fine. If we take wireless out of the picture and use 2 wired stations on those different subnets; it is fine as well. We simply took the same laptop and removed the wireless NIC and used a Xircom wired NIC and all was well. When we replaced the Xircom with the Cisco 350 radio and tried the same video conference we sent audio and video fine to the other station, but we received no audio and video on the wireless station.

Thanks.

Well, that limits the possibilities. Have you looked at packet sizes and retry values?

Matthew Wheeler

Chief Wireless Architect

www.BlueModal.com

bmcmurdo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please make sure that at least one of the datarates in the "AP Radio Hardware Page" is set to "basic"

The datarates (11, 5.5, 2, 1) can be set to no, yes, or basic. Multicast will be sent at the lowest "basic" datarate (to ensure all stations can get it).

Also that yu are not filtering multicast in your MAC filters.

I had all 4 datarates set to basic; I am going to set 1 and 2 datarates to NO, and 5.5 and 11 to BASIC. The cell coverage will be fine running at these rates. I will also try 5.5 as BASIC and 11 set to YES. This will let multicast run at 5.5 and unicast at 11.

I'll post the results.

Greg

Greg,

We have had a lot of success with video conferencing using the 350's. I don't think that your problem stems from a wireless problem. If you were able to connect and stay connected in a video call between the two locations you obviously have communications in both directions as the video conferencing requires call management packets to be sent to and from each end station durring the call to manage bandwidths data rates etc.

I would focus your efforts on the video conferencing applications you are using. Do to the limited bandwidth and half duplex nature of the communications one or both of your video applications may not be negotiating their video and audio streams properly. While you are in a call check the status of the different protocols. Durring the initiation of the h.323 conference the two end stations attempt to determine the other ends capabilities. if at that point there is not enough bandwidth available or any other communications problem the call may not be set up correctly.

Do you have audio from each station? try turning the audio off at each end station and try the call again, or limit the amount of video bandwidth the application will use.

Try a different video conferencing application on the laptop and other end station

Let me know if any of this helps or if I'm out to lunch.

David Fugham, AScT

ComGuard CTS.

david@comguardcts.com

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card