Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Vocera not broadcasting

We are running Vocera over a Cisco 1200 deployment using a separate VLAN and employing WLSM. Connections are fine and communications are fine but they are getting inconsistent broadcasting results. Folks never hear the message.

dtim is set to 1

Thanks,

Greg

6 REPLIES

Re: Vocera not broadcasting

The broadcast in vocera will not work if you are crossing subnets. We also had to adjust the dtim and the beacon period. In our environment, we have set the dtim to 1 and the beacon period to 50.

Vocera broadcasts (multicast) are isolated to a

particular VLAN/subnet unless IGMP multicast routing is enabled on the switches and routers.

What we found is if the broadcaster is on APs which are connected to one switch and the recipients are on APs connected to another switch - it does not work.

If, however, both broadcaster and recipients are on APs connected to the same switch - broadcasting works fine.

One VLAN is used for Vocera on one IP segment.

Is it IGMP Snooping or IGMP multicast routing which should be turned on?

Thanks,

Greg

According to my contact at Vocera you would need to enable IGMP multicast routing to get the broadcasting to work properly. I have not yet done this myself but will likely be enabling it soon.

I have deployed about 150 units at one of the hospitals i'm responsible for.If your require multicasting in your setup with the vocera badges you will need to turn on igmp snoop queurier on you layer 3 interface.

The solution to this problem was configuring the Cisco edge switches with the following command:

no ip igmp snooping

They were using version 3.0 Vocera and Cisco has this feature enabled by default. As soon as we turned off igmp snooping it resolved the issue.

Views
Helpful
Replies