Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VoD on wireless LAN

Is there a way for me to implement Video on Demand over wireless LAN? I need at least 10Mbps dedicated bandwidth for each terminal and my server backbone is running on Gigabit Ethernet. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: VoD on wireless LAN

Yes, this is possible. I'd suggest contacting Cisco directly since there is too many variables to go over on a message board.

Green

Re: VoD on wireless LAN

Cisco has a video content server (IPTV) that can do Video on demand, or "Scheduled" broadcasts (Multicasts - general, or to specific multicast groups at pretty much any scope).

IPTV can server MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, H.261, and several others, and if you light up the IIS services (it runs over WIN2K) you have the Microsoft video flavors at your disposal as well (which can be coordinated to interoperate with the Cisco Video software).

Bandwidth is bandwidth - no wires doesn't change anything (except maybe som QOS issues, and I believe QOS /wireless has been recently addressed).

Certainly, the quality of the connection will matter. Weaker 802.11b signals are running ~ 1Mbps - you'll need to do a solid site survey and design for sufficient AP access to ensure that the available bandwidth will be satisfactory for the level of video you intend to distribute.

Good Luck

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies