Views
Helpful
Replies

WEP able to work on Spectralink phones?

wongks
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

How do you configure this? Don't seems to get this working.

Pls help.

6 Replies 6

tbarberj
Level 1
Level 1

Symbol Technologies Netvision phone is pure 802.11b VoIP and supports WEP at 40- and 128-bit. It can be ordered with Cisco protocol so it registers directly wil Cisco Call Manager. It's about a 5-minute install.

bmcmurdo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Spectralink does support 40 &128 bit WEP. I am not aware of any known problems configuring WEP on the phone. – Maybe someone else can help???

Be aware the Spectralink phones only operate at 1Mbps and 2Mbps rates so the AP needs to have these rates enabled.

Its also recommended that Aironet extensions are turned off on the AP, and that the AP is configured to "long" Radio Preamble.

The Spectralink supports QOS from the phone (proprietary implementation). The AP will automatically prioritize SVP traffic to the phone.

Spectralink voice traffic is also easily identified in the network (IP protocol 119) and is always destined to the Spectralink gateway. This is important because of the relatively low level of security static WEP provides; you are able to set filters that only allow IPSEC traffic for VPN clients and SVP, TFTP, DHCP, and DNS traffic for phones. With other vendors you cannot do any port filtering because you cannot identify in advance what ports RTP traffic will use.

Hi,

Do you have any sample configurations for the APs and Spectralink phones?

Having problem at my customer end.

For your assistance, pls.

mrost
Level 1
Level 1

SpectraLink does support 40 128 WEP. No problems, you configure on phone via menu. Phones are now 11 mbps, so no special AP configuration needs.

blue.modal
Level 1
Level 1

I know WEP works, but what surprised me was that there were characters that could not be used in the SSID because they did not exist in the keypad's extended character set.

I think it was a dash that I could not enter. Made me look pretty dumb trying to do a demo.

Another gripe - no batch config. You have to punch every character for every field into every phone. 1000 user project? That's one week of dialpad typing!

Any fix for that, Mr. Rost?

Matthew Wheeler

Blue Modal

The WEP issue has been fixed.

As per batch configuration, stayed tuned for fix soon.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card