Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WIP310 WLAN handover pretty bad

Hello everyone,

I've got myself two WIP 310 for testing within our local network. Using 3CX phone server the WIP310 basically work pretty well.

Unfortunately I'm experiencing trouble with the devices WLAN handover. I've got six access points positioned in our warehouse, wireless reception is good throughout the compound. Still, the WIP310 are losing connection when moving around and need quite some time to reconnect to a different access point, the call gets interrupted, sometimes they even fail to connect to a different access point until I restart them.

I've also tested this using a software phone on a standard notebook, even when moving fast, the phone call gets interrupted for two seconds max.

Is there anything I can do about this regarding the WIP310?

My WLAN ist using WEP encryption ( I know....), all AP Channels are the same, as said before, reception is good everywhere...

1 Reply 1

Kayle Miller
Level 7
Level 7

Generally speaking you don't want all the AP's on the same channel unless  your doing a DAS environment, but then there are an entirely different set of rules to follow. You may find better roaming if you set the channels on the AP's to spread across your usable channel space. If you are in the US you can use channels 1, 6, 11. Having all the access points on 1 channel cause co-channel interference which can degrade signal quality plus when the phone searches for a new AP' it may not see the other ap's with a clean enough quality to roam to them. Many VOIP phones use some form of QoS algorithim to determine which AP has the lowest load, best signal, and best signal quality and that's the one they prefer (QBSS) but if they are all on 1 channel, plus all your clients are on the same channel, you are negatively impacting your performance with each new client you add.

hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card