cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless dynamic channel association?

mpitts
Level 1
Level 1

I recently installed a new CME, and it included 40+ 7921Gs. All seem to be working fine.

When I asked the customer about his wireless infrastucture he mentioned that they were using new software that would dynamically associate channels & phones based on the best channel/signal combination. His comment came across as though each phone associating with a particular AP (I believe all are autonomous) could be selecting a different channel.

I don't pretend to be a wireless "wizard", but I haven't seen anything like this in any documentation.

Is there something in a software release, or a configuration option, that I'm missing?

Thanks,

Mike

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

irisrios
Level 6
Level 6

All the clients work on the channel the access point , to which it is associated is operating. Selecting a best channel is an option to be enabled on access point. On the access point GUI browse to the specific Radio and you have an option to choose Default Radio Channel . Choose Leaset Congested Frequency. Access point scans and finds the least congested channel to operate.

View solution in original post

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

One thing to keep in mind, if you are using autonomous AP's when using least congested channel the AP only scans and determines the channel at bootup. It won't keep scanning and change if interference is occurring. Its typically recommended with autonomous AP's to statically assign the channels based on the site survey results.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

irisrios
Level 6
Level 6

All the clients work on the channel the access point , to which it is associated is operating. Selecting a best channel is an option to be enabled on access point. On the access point GUI browse to the specific Radio and you have an option to choose Default Radio Channel . Choose Leaset Congested Frequency. Access point scans and finds the least congested channel to operate.

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

One thing to keep in mind, if you are using autonomous AP's when using least congested channel the AP only scans and determines the channel at bootup. It won't keep scanning and change if interference is occurring. Its typically recommended with autonomous AP's to statically assign the channels based on the site survey results.

mpitts
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks to you both.

I suspected that was the case, and I typically set up wireless for the phones this way. Just thought I might have missed something new and wonderful.

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card