Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Wireless QoS Profiles

Is anyone running Wireless QoS using 5508's? I have been reading lots of info, but still struggle with some of this. I have not dealt with QoS much on a wired network and never on a wireless network. I know there has to be a shared comfiguration between both. The whole point of QoS is end to end. When looking into the Wireless QoS profiles in the WLC, the Gold profile, which is stated for video doesnt even have any values configured? So even selecting this profile for the WLAN SSID, the values not being configured, tell me its not benifitting me at all.

Now can someone give me "slimmed" down info on ToS, CoS, and DSCP?

Another question I have is does my application need these values configured? In my video encoder there is an area for ToS and the value is 0, do I need to configure this for the traffic to be noticed on the network?

Everyone's tags (3)
1 REPLY

Wireless QoS Profiles

Steven

There is a lot to QOS on the network. There are three main points to keep in mind when working on QOS.

COS = Layer 2 packet markings

DSCP = Layer 3 packet markings

1. Marking

2. Trusting

3. Queuing

I suggest doing the research on what's important to your business and marking the more important traffic higher then the not so important traffic. If you are using Cisco Switches, I suggest using 4 classes because you only get 4 queues with most Cisco switches. 

You need to trust DSCP for your Controller based AP's.  You should trust DSCP on all of your switch uplinks.

Egress Queuing is very important. You need to allocate bandwidth to the queues on your ports. This assures that each queue gets the bandwidth that you want it to have.

Wireless QOS is a bit different. The client needs to set the DSCP value, then the controller needs to allow the DSCP value to be set to a specific level. You need to set the "platinum" profile to a 802.1p Tag to 6, this will allow packets to be marked with a COS value of 5 (I don't understand why Cisco did it this way, but it's how it is).  Then you need to apply Platinum to your voice vlan.

Here is a link to my forum where I have posted a lot more regarding QOS. I hope this helps.

http://goatnetworking.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=8&sid=7e3372e32d3b9a20f9391696f7bed442

Views
Helpful
Replies