Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Wireless voice and QoS

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but I'm checking here as well.

With a Cisco WISM2, is it possible to have only voice set up for QoS? I'm not talking about having a dedicated SSID set up for wireless voice with QoS set to Platinum, but a generic SSID that will identify voice traffic and apply the correct QoS settings?

From what I've seen it's not possible. The reason I ask is we want to install softphones on our tablets and use our existing wireless network to be able to use wireless voice. However, it looks like if we set the QoS on that SSID to Platinum then ALL data on that SSID gets marked as high priority, not just voice traffic.

Am I correct?

1 REPLY

Wireless voice and QoS

The QOS settings in the profile on the WLC does not mark packets, it simply allows packets that were marked by the client to keep it's markings up to a set level.

If you want Wireless Voice to work on your PC's.

1. Make sure that SSID is set to Platinum (Make sure Platinum is set to a value of 6).

2. Make sure CUCM is configured to use the desired DSCP values for call control and RTP traffic.

3. Trust DSCP on the switch port connecting to the on the AP.

The risk that you take here is that it allows an application on the PC to mark it's packets up to EF and it could chew up your entire priority queue on your network. This is why most people put the wireless phones on it's own SSID.

I hope this helps.

Scape

Views
Helpful
Replies