cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless voice over ip

rfullmer
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone please tell me what I need to do voip using aironet between 2 bldgs. It is a small remote network about 400 feet away and need 4 to 6 voice ports. Do i need a router to accomplish the voice gateway? What "gotcha's" do I need to watch for?

I am concerned about voice quality on the wireless link ( latency issues )

thank you very much.

7 Replies 7

tgaston
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My advice before going down this path is to assess the feasibility of doing voice over the Aironet 2.4Ghz products. From what I know of the product, Aironet products do not support QoS. You need to provide QoS (99.99%) to carry VoIP traffic. QoS features can be found in the 2700 Series 5.7Ghz products.

Best Regards

zappolinom
Level 1
Level 1

Be aware that if you use the 340 Series. The Bridge is not powerfull enough in handling small data packets (around 200k). what we have tried was 3 Radio links on different channels and the 3 LAN Segments attached to a router to make a load sharing of the trunks. The first attempt was to use Fast Etherchanneling on the Cisco Switch ports but we seen that there was no loadsharing of the ports.

I hope that the 350 Series will have a much powerful processor to handle small data packets.

We have been running a site with 60 ip phones over a dedicated wireless ethernet bridge 340's back to a second office then over a dedicated 2mbit vdsl link back to the primary site where the callmanager resides with the interface to the pstn.all phones are running g.711 80k streams and the problems are minimal there are 2621 at each end with interfaces set to half duplex and we are useing route maps to seperate the data from the voice.

Do to the fact that we have legacy 12sp+ phones we cannot use g.729 nor can we setup seperate voice vlan on cat switches if we could I would put all phones in different subnet and route on that.Though in conclusion we haven't had to many complaints in the last 6 months.

I saw from the forum on cisco page that you are running VoIP with Aironet Bridges and I want help from you because i have problem. The topology is as follow:

---7960 Ipphones/Callmanager--switch 3524--router--aironet 350 non rooot brigde----- root bridge (repeater)-------Aironet 350 nonroot bridge--router--switch--7960 IpPhones

The quality of the link is good (when pinging i got the time <10ms) but when talking, very bad. We just hear the Hello of the calling person and disapear.In one word, impossibe to establish a conversation

Do you have any clue and advice on what to do please ?

Hope to hear you soon and thanks in advance.

jschonemann
Level 1
Level 1

We have almost exactly what you describe.

Two buildings about two blocks apart. Bld #1 in on our campus network with about 200 users. Building #2 has about 20 users. We have 2 Air-342US bridges using the yagi antennas. Bld #1 is using 10 meg switched Ethernet with FDDI uplinks. Bld #2 has a Catalyst 3524-pwr-xl for 10/100 Ethernt and power for the VoIP phones. Bld #2 is in the same IP subnet as Bld #1 and our call managers are located in bld #3 which has a gigabit connection to Bld #1. There are currently 8 7960 VoIP phones in Bld #2 and we haven't had any complaints. Except for the lack of "Message Waiting Indicator" -- Unity is on the way. We initially told the VoIP users that there might be issues due to the lack of QoS but so far (almost 6 months) nothing bad to report. The other voice circuits in the building "OSPA" cost us $110 a month.

With have similar topology but we still have problem so it will be very helpfull for us if you could give me some advice. The topology is as follow:

---7960 Ipphones/Callmanager--switch 3524--router--aironet 350 non rooot brigde----- root bridge (repeater)-------Aironet 350 nonroot bridge--router--switch--7960 IpPhones

The quality of the link is good (when pinging i got the time <10ms) but when talking, very bad. We just hear the Hello of the calling person and disapear.In one word, impossibe to establish a conversation

Do you have any clue and advice on what to do please ?

Hope to hear you soon and thanks in advance.

dmezaache
Level 1
Level 1

I have deployed a VOIP over Wireless Network.

Using a Cisco 802.11b wireless bridge, seperated

with 1720 with 2 Ethernet. Then with two MC3810.

Reason I placed 1720's is two seperate the network

(broadcasts bad!!!). The MC3810 are connected to the local lan and create a PRI too the PBX. Everything

sounds great. It was a pretty fun project. Let me know, how yours works out. Any questions also let me know.

Dan

danm@clearconnection.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card