cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Voice Subnet Size

BDugas1827
Level 1
Level 1

I understand that a voice over wireless deployment needs its own VLAN but the question is what is the best practice size of the single voice vlan? Once exceded what is the best practice subnet size for AP Groups?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

William,

You will get many different answers here:) So in my experience, a /24 is good, you keep the broadcast domain small. I have also had clients with a /16 and no issues, but not with voice since that would be a lot of wireless phones in general. I think the largest subnet I had wireless voice, my client was using a /23 subnet.

AP Groups woul be the same in a way, you need to define how large of a subnet you need. With the 7.0.116.0, they added a new feature called interface groups that allows you to bundle interfaces together. So you can bundle 2+ /24 if you wanted to.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

William,

You will get many different answers here:) So in my experience, a /24 is good, you keep the broadcast domain small. I have also had clients with a /16 and no issues, but not with voice since that would be a lot of wireless phones in general. I think the largest subnet I had wireless voice, my client was using a /23 subnet.

AP Groups woul be the same in a way, you need to define how large of a subnet you need. With the 7.0.116.0, they added a new feature called interface groups that allows you to bundle interfaces together. So you can bundle 2+ /24 if you wanted to.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depending on the uptake of your Wireless VoIP.  Ours, for example, is /25. 

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Scott hit the nail on the head ..

My deployment has 3000 phones in one subnet with no issues .. Although I would not recommend that large of a subnet . I would do /22. Just more manageable.

The wlc doesn't send broadcast so you can get larger subnetworks when compared to wired.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

We do not have a hard rule on how large a voice client subnet should be in our VoIP or VoWLAN documentation.

But rule of thumb is to not exceed a /22 as mentioned above. 

/24 would be a more preferred size from a wired VoIP perspective, but with VoWLAN, that # can be exceeded very quickly in a single deployment (e.g. 500+ size 792x deployments).

I will probably add this to the next rev of the 792xG, 9971 and Cius Deployment Guides.

There are minimal broadcasts coming from our Cisco WLAN endpoints (e.g. 792x); just the occasional ARP, CDP, etc.

Use of multicast could also influence the subnet size as well.

Can you specify, when the next revision of deployment guides will be available, especially for 792xG v1.4.2?

migilles
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Felix.

Hope things are well.

I have been working on syncing the 7921 & 7925/7926 guides with the Cius guide as well as new detail.

Hopefully in the next few weeks I can get something posted.

However the core detail will remain the same and all will apply to 1.4(2) and 1.4(3) except for channel parking.

You have my email address, so ping me if you need more info.

migilles
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The updated Deployment Guides for Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7921G and for the Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7925G, 7925G-EX, and 7926G are now available on Cisco.com.

7921G Deployment Guide – 1.4(2) Update

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7921g/6_0/english/deployment/guide/7921dply.pdf

7925G, 7925G-EX, and 7926G Deployment Guide – 1.4(2) Update

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7925g/7_0/english/deployment/guide/7925dply.pdf

Thanks Mig!

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card