Views
Helpful
Replies

Wlan number

Rafael Mendes
Level 2
Level 2

Hello everyone,

I have a Cisco Wireless Lan Controller in version 4.2.176.0, and AP's Cisco AP1010 .
I created 5 WLANs for different services in my corporate network.
I need to create more 3 WLANs for other services, and i am in doubt about the ability of the controller and Ap's to support this load.
There any best practices or some maximum number of WLANs by AP or Controller?

Thanks.

Rafael

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Good question....

Each SSID you add to your WLAN you use medium for managment frames. No big deal right?

When you only have 1 or 2 APs no bid deal. But when you have 10+ access points that your client can see and you have lower data rates enabled you will have higher channel utilization.

Do this ... take 1 AP put 1 ssid and then add another and another ... Run an analyzer and check out your utilization. I've had customers who have 40%+ channel untilization with no  traffic, just managment frames.

I try to keep my SSIDs to 5 and disable the lower data rates.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can configure up to 512 SSIDs but only 24 will be "work" ... so to speak.

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Good question....

Each SSID you add to your WLAN you use medium for managment frames. No big deal right?

When you only have 1 or 2 APs no bid deal. But when you have 10+ access points that your client can see and you have lower data rates enabled you will have higher channel utilization.

Do this ... take 1 AP put 1 ssid and then add another and another ... Run an analyzer and check out your utilization. I've had customers who have 40%+ channel untilization with no  traffic, just managment frames.

I try to keep my SSIDs to 5 and disable the lower data rates.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Well...

Thanks for response.

So, i have 400 AP's and 4 controllers, into the my network.

My question is, AP's have a maximum number of SSID's? I can create more 3 wlans/ssids?

Second answer above, I have 512 SSIDs configured, only 24 more will radiate the signal to customers, is it?

That's what I said in my first post.

Wait a minute he said 1010 access points. If memory serves me right these dusty puppys can only do 8 ssids ... Right Leo !?

found it ,... 16 per

Note:

Cisco Aironet 1000 Series APs support 16 BSSIDs per radio and 16 WLANs

per AP.

You got that one right George.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card