Views
Helpful
Replies

wlc 2106 mDns bonjour AirPlay AirTunes apple??? help

waynecampbell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

Long time reader, first time poster.. I'm after some advice.

I'm failing dismally trying to configure a 2106 Wlc to allow apple device (iPhone, iPads) to stream AirPlay to an apple tv 2.

Now, I have this working perfectly with a 5508 WLC.

I understand that the apple devices all need to be on the same subnet (they are), that multicast needs to be enabled, and I've tried a variety of multicast addresses as mentioned in many posts.. Also the wired infrastructure is not the problem (as connecting net gear access points into the same wired infrastructure works fine).

I've also read posts where some people say the 2100series doesn't support AirPlay/bonjour/mDns and others saying they have had it work.

But I can't find a definitive answer.

Can anyone confirm or deny which WLC support AirPlay, as if I need to switch I want to make sure they do.

The 5508 works fine.

Anybody able to shed some wisdom?

Thanks Wayne.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I have a 2106 in the lab and it works fine. Here are a few screen shots and a link that may help..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/ip/configuration/guide/1cfmulti.html

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It shouldn't matter what wlc. I have a 2106 at home working fine and I have deployed it on a 2504 and 5508. Now the code I have running when I tried it on the 2106 is 7.0.230.0 but that shouldn't matter. It's how multicast is setup on the network side that varies the multicast configuration a bit.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Any chance you would happen to remember the multicast config? I feel as though I've tried everything and feel as though ive got the 2106 configured in its most basic configuration.

So that's a definite confirmation of the 2106 running AirPlay?

Thanks for speedy reply

Yeah the 2106 works. Their is a document on one of the wireless forums I can try to find.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

On my 2106 at home here all I did was enable broadcast forwarding and setup a multicast address for the controller to use.

I have a 2106 in the lab and it works fine. Here are a few screen shots and a link that may help..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/ip/configuration/guide/1cfmulti.html

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks everyone, your responses helped me greatly.

Had to upgrade firmware. (confirmed working on 7.0.230.0) was originally on on 5.1.150.0 which failed dismally.

Now works great. Very happy

Hi there, you mentioned you go this working on your 5508 controller. I'm trying a 4400 WLC (WiSM) and I have followed all the Cisco articles and I can only get it working using unicast, not multicast so I thought you may be able to offer some insights?

Thanks

I'll take some screenshots of the 5508 settings at work tomorrow for you. (can't remember exactly what I had to do).

My biggest problem with the 2106 was not having the latest firmware.

Cheers

Wayne.

Thanks for the quick response and I look forward to the screenshots. I'm currently running 7.0.230.0 on the controller which is the latest software I believe.

I'm hoping it's something I've missed. Thanks again.

Rosa Ladera
Level 1
Level 1

What do you have connected on interface FastEthernet 0/0.50 ?

An AP?

Is multicast configured global on 2621?

Thanks is advance

Rosa

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: