Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508 Switch Ports

smartns04
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Here is my case.

I have a WLC 5508 connected thorugh Giga 0/1  to my core 3750 switch and through that to my access switches were my APs are plugged. Everything is working fine , multiple SSIDs, DCHPs, security ,roaming ....etc. My plan is to connect on Giga 0/2 an switch which will be used to plugged routers on and give internet to the wireless clients. The reason i am doing that is because i plan to have a few routers load balancing traffic using GLBP.

The problem i am facing is that it seems to be no connectivity between the switch ports of the controller. I can see both switches on cdp but cant ping or get anytrafic.

Any ideas what am i missing?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The controller isn't a switch. It will forward the traffic for the clients out of only one port, unless you have LAG enabled then it sends across all the ports in the ether channel.

You would want to connect your new switch to the 3750 and let the traffic continue to flow through the core and to the router.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

ok got it. I dont want to connect to the core as i am short on ports.  Do you think it will work if i activate LAG?

No, you can't split the lag between switches they need to go to a single chassis.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

ok i see....

I need to find some space on my core switch!

Thanks Steve.

No, you can't split the lag between switches they need to go to a single chassis.

Hello Steve,

You mean "a LOGICAL switch". 

You can "split" the LAGs to a stack of 2960S or 3750-series switches if they switches are part of A SINGLE LOGICAL STACK.

Same goes with "splitting" the LAG to a 4500, 6500 or 7600 chassis switch.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card