I write this partly as a sharing of a problem i have had and resolved and partly as a aide memoire for when I get it again in a years’ time and have to solve it again....
The problem I was having was with a custom web Auth page running for our guest wireless network.
In order to get the corporate feel to it I passed the sample pages to one of our web team who sent me back a very fancy custom web page for the system. It had the relevant T&C’s on there, the username and password box and a submit button all nicely placed around the Corporate logo all complete with Cascading style sheets and everything. All looked good.
The problem was the submit button didn’t work and in IE it produced an ‘error on page’ message every time it was pressed. This in turn failed to submit the form so no access.
After a lot of tweaking we identified the problem to be with the submit button HTML code itself.
The fancy web software had added an ID tag to the code and that was incompatible with the script causing it to fail. Once we removed the ID tag the whole page sprang to life.
This code failed:
<input id="submit" type=button name=Submit value="I Agree with Policy Above" onclick="submitAction();">
This code worked:
<input type=button name=Submit value="I Agree with Policy Above" onclick="submitAction();">