cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1131AG keeps disconnecting from 5508 wlc

ajmadriaga
Level 1
Level 1

We have about 20 APs in our network and about 4-5 are 1131AGs and the rest are 3500s.  The 1131s disconnect from the controller for about 2 minutes (i guess it is rebooting) and then comes back up.  This happens every 1-5 days.  I have tried changing the power level and the channel.  I am not sure why the 1131s keep disconnecting.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

CSCtk57838    AP event log missing chunks of time, AP rebooting without crash data     (CSCtk57838 is duplicated to some obscure bug that fixes the behavior seen in CSCtk57838)

Looks like a 7.0.98.20X issue (plus numerous other post 7.0.98.0 builds).

Problem is resolved in 7.0.98.218,  7.0.116.0, 6.0.202.0.

My suggestion is you upgrade to any of those.

-Wesley Terry

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Andrew,

It shouldn't be an RF issue.  I'd take a look at the ports the AP are connected to, and possibly the ethernet cables as well.

Cheers,

Steve

--

If  this helps you and/or answers  your question please mark the question as "answered" and/or rate it, so  other users can easily find it.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

weterry
Level 4
Level 4

if you're not sure that it is rebooting, check the WIRELESS TAB of the WLC GUI.   The time counter there is Physical Uptime.

If it is rebooting, I'd check for crash files on the WLC for APs....

and from the WLC CLI I'd pull the AP eventlog "show ap eventlog " (I think that is the right syntax).

So many directions to go here... so its best if you can figure out what exactly is happening (disconnect, reboot, crash, etc..)

I checked the wireless tab on the WLC gui and the AP uptime resets back to 0.  So it is probably rebooting/crashing.

I tried pulling up logs from both the APs and the WLC.  The logs stop about 3 months before and then continues right when the AP comes back online (ex.  Apr 14 was the last log then Jul 1 was when the AP reset and came back online and joined the controller). 

Although there is a Jul 5th message:

*Jul 5 16:00:13.121: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG:  Received a upload request from controller for event log buffer

So April 14th it booted....

and then July 1st is the last reboot (and logs up to July 5th, implying no reboot since July 1st).  Right?

I assume this particular AP has crashed or rebooted several times between April 14th and July 1st?   If that is the case, then it is clearly crashing and not saving the event log....  Which I'm fairly sure I've seen a few issues like this in the past..

So what code are you on?   I'm guessing its not 6.0.202.0 or 7.0.116.0

Yes there are 4 APs (1131AG) with almost identical logs and have been crashing every 1-5 days. 

We are on 7.0.98.209 on the WLC.

Any guesses on why this is happening?

CSCtk57838    AP event log missing chunks of time, AP rebooting without crash data     (CSCtk57838 is duplicated to some obscure bug that fixes the behavior seen in CSCtk57838)

Looks like a 7.0.98.20X issue (plus numerous other post 7.0.98.0 builds).

Problem is resolved in 7.0.98.218,  7.0.116.0, 6.0.202.0.

My suggestion is you upgrade to any of those.

-Wesley Terry

Thanks Weterry.  After upgrading to 7.0.116.0 I have not had any reboots since.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card