Views
Helpful
Replies

Change IP Addresses on HA Cluster WLC 5508

enzo99
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys, 

I'd like to change the Management and Redundancy-Management Addresses on our two WLC 5508 which are in a HA-Cluster.

We are also upgrading the firmware version (including the AP Supplementary Bundle). Currently one node is in the UP/Active State while the other is in the Maintenance state since we haven't rebooted both WLCs after the firmware upgrade. We just rebooted the secondary unit to check if the upgrade procedure is correct. 

Since changing the MGMT-/Redundancy MGMT Address requires a restart anyways I'd like to upload the Firmware with supplementary bundle and then change the addresses. This will cause the WLC to reboot anyways and complete the firmware upgrade and the change of addresses.

Regarding the change of the IPs: Do I need to disable the WLANs via the CLI? That was recommended in another post on the primary unit, but since the HA Cluster is currently down I can execute the commands on both WLCs. Usually you are not able to execute those commands on the secondary unit. Can i just disable SSO on both WLCs --> Change IP --> Reboot ?

Link to other post: WLC in HA mode IP address and VLAN change procedure - Cisco Community

Thanks in advance!

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...This will cause the WLC to reboot anyways and complete the firmware upgrade and the change of addresses.
   Besides  the provided link there is not much else to say , besides the fact that I personally would keep  upgrading and changing ip addresses apart ,  so that then the 5508  HA cluster can be upgraded in  a standard manner.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Agreed - do not try to combine upgrade and addressing change.

You'll need to break HA to make the addressing changes (break HA, change IPs, re-establish HA) so keep that separate and upgrade the OS while HA is working normally with both units up.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card