Views
Helpful
Replies

Prevent mac address spoofing on wifi

sarat1317
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I am in the process of configuring guest wifi network using WLC and ISE. I configured Open authentication and mac address filtering so that I can monitor and allow the users based on mac addresses.

Problem:

Once I am authenticated, ISE profiled my device and can access the network. However I can spoof the mac address of the profiled device (my phone) and am able to connect from my laptop using the same mac. No further authentication is needed to access the wifi.

Wanted to check if there is any solution on WLC or ISE to prevent spoofing?

Please advise

Thanks

Venkat

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

OPEN authentication and MAC address filtering ... will work well in a lab but in production someone will have to manually add and remove the MAC address.  Not efficient. 

Kindly explain the thinking for enabling MAC address filtering.  I mean it's more than easy to just have a PSK and the key gets changed regularly (daily or weekly).

Actually when the mac is passed to ISE it is automatically seen on the user self registration page so the user don't have to enter the mac. I didn't prefer PEAP with certs as they have to be managed and sent securely to the users

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card