cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS On lightweight AP/WLC

oalkurdi
Level 1
Level 1

What's the best way to configure QoS on 5508 WLC/1142N AP for voice, knowing that most clients will be using soft phones on their laptop and associated to one SSID. I saw that I can create QoS profiles on the controller but the profile will be applied to clients associated to one SSID. In my case all clients will be associated to one SSID, doing both data and voice and I need to apply QoS for voice. appreciate any direction.

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

oalkurdi
Level 1
Level 1

The main issue for me is if that users are using CUPC client on their laptop for voice, voice traffic will be marked as it arrives to the WLC, but when the traffic reaches the WLC how can I separate voice and data traffic if they are associated to the same SSID and assign them two different QoS profiles?

Ok, so long story short, you don't have too.

The 802.1p is an UP value that the software will mark.  So the CUPC,or any soft voice application, should mark the traffic with the appropriate tag, while data traffic will be/should be unmarked.

"It is not possible to DSCP-tag packets between the controller and LAP       if there is no DSCP or 802.1P value in the original packet itself."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00807e9717.shtml#L1

So, that answers from the AP to the WLC.  From the WLC out, the packets should, at some point, run through a policy-map, that sets the appropriate values, in case someone has hacked there laptop to add a dot1p tag to all traffic.

Cheers,
Steve

--

If  this helps you and/or answers  your question please mark the question as "answered" and/or rate it, so  other users can easily find it.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thank you Steve,

This is one of the links I looked at and my understanding is that I have to create QoS profiles and link the WLAN to the appropriate QoS profile to preserve the marking. I agree that traffic should be marked in the original packet, but do I have to do anything to preserve the marking? And also as traffic passes between the AP and WLC is the priority based on the original marking or the new marking (QoS profile on the WLC?).

Assuming I do have to link the WLAN to a QoS profile, that's where my problem comes, I have two different traffic types terminating at the same WLAN, so I need to be able to link the WLAN to two different QoS profiles.

Let me know what you think.

Thank you.

Ola Savas, CCIE# 18098

Global Engineering Solutions

Verizon

o: +1.919.378.6290 / v965-6290

c: +1.919.695.6919

You do have to link the WLAN to a profile, but you can only do it to one.

For the marking, you need to trust the AP port and all trunk ports that the traffic will across, to preserve the mark.  Otherwise the mark will be stripped by the switches in the path.

As for the different traffic, you can run it through policies immediatly, and strip an eronious mark from data traffic.  But, *by default*, a laptop does not mark data traffic at all.

The WLC only allows you to link the WLAN to one profile, and relies on normal LAN QoS to remark/reclassify traffic as it spread through the network

Cheers,
Steve

--

If  this helps you and/or answers  your question please mark the question as "answered" and/or rate it, so  other users can easily find it.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Steve,

That makes sense, but help me run through this example.

Lets say a user associated to SSID "employee" which is in a WLAN linked to profile platinum. The user data traffic will arrive at the AP/WLC unmarked as expected, and the voice traffic from CPUC will arrive marked, so we have two differen types of original packets. But since both types of traffic are terminating at the same WLAN, they will both be mapped to platinum, but I don't want data to be platinum. Is there a solution for that?

Thanks again.

Ola Savas, CCIE# 18098

Global Engineering Solutions

Verizon

o: +1.919.378.6290 / v965-6290

c: +1.919.695.6919

You can run it through policies  immediatly, and strip an eronious mark from data traffic.  But, *by  default*, a laptop does not mark data traffic at all.

Cheers,
Steve

--

HTH,
Steve

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card