Views
Helpful
Replies

wism2 upgrade

andrewswanson
Level 7
Level 7

hello

i'm planning to replace a wism1 with a wism2. i've had a look at the deployment guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2706/products_tech_note09186a0080b7c904.shtml

it states as a feature for wism2 - "Interoperability with other service modules and WiSM1". can anyone confirm that this means i can have a wism1 and a wism2 in the same 6500 chassis at the same time?

also, the current 6500 chassis has some modules (WS-X6408A-GBIC) that aren't listed  as "tested and compatible". has anyone experienced problems with these modules and a wism2 in the same chassis? the WS-X6408A-GBIC modules are due for replacement very soon but i was hoping to get the wism2 installed first.

thanks
andy

5 Replies 5

BRYN JONES
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Andy

Reassurance for you: We recently installed a WiSM 2 into a 6509 chassis, where we house some of our WiSM1 and everything is fine.

Can't comment on your module question unortunately.

regards

thanks - installed the wism2 a few weeks back and removed the WS-X6408A-GBIC modules at the same time - no problems

machtj
Level 1
Level 1

Andrew,

So to confirm you were able to have the wism1 and the wism2 in the same chassis at the same time? Was it OIR (online insertion \ removal) ... no downtime putting it in there? Planning on updating mine soon as well... did you run into any gotchas?

Thanks for any input

hello - i had no issues installing the wism2 in the same chassis as wism 1. i upgraded the ios (redundant sup720s) and took out the old gbic modules. wism2 installed no problem.

hth

andy

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
it states as a feature for wism2 - "Interoperability with other service modules and WiSM1". can anyone confirm that this means i can have a wism1 and a wism2 in the same 6500 chassis at the same time?

WiSM-1 and WiSM-2 will work together as long as the chassis has the correct IOS to get the WiSM-2 operational.  I believe that would be SXJ version IOS.

also, the current 6500 chassis has some modules (WS-X6408A-GBIC) that aren't listed  as "tested and compatible".

The reason is because this line card has got nothing to do with WiSM-1 or WiSM-2.  The only thing in common is that all three line cards can be "housed" in the same chassis.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card