Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC AVC reporting???

mscherting
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Just wondering if there is a way do do what I want.

I have a couple WiSM-2's and a handful of 5508's, all running 7.4.121.0.  I'm liking the visibility AVC provides, but want more.

I would like an alert when certain applications appears on the air, including MAC addresses of client(s) generating the traffric.

Similarly, when I see interesting applications on a particular WLC, I want to identify the clients generating the traffic.

One other question, what timeframe does the Application Cumulative Stats reflect?  Looks like for clients, it's the current session.  How about globally for the WLC?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You will not get any type of alerting like that from the WLC. I don't really understand your second question.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You will not get any type of alerting like that from the WLC. I don't really understand your second question.

-Scott

WLC Monitor page, left menu, "Applications" shows application usage per WLAN for the entire WLC.  I want the MAC's of clients generating traffic in each slice of the pie(s).

I'm also running PI 2.0.0.0.294 and can't find any useful AVC reporting there either.

You won't get that detail of information from the WLC or PI. Maybe you need to use netflow and export that to a netflow agent.

-Scott

I understand if you want AVC info from the WLC in PRIME you need to pay for another license.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Cisco Prime Assurance License is what you need:

Assurance License: Provides access to the Assurance feature set, which provides end-to-end network visibility of

application and service performance to help ensure end-user quality of experience. The Assurance feature set also

provides the ability to manage and aggregate data and views across multiple Cisco Prime Network Analysis

Modules (NAMs). The Assurance license is based on the number of managed NetFlow-enabled interfaces.

Assurance licenses are available in bundle sizes of 15, 50, 100, 500, 1000, and 5000 NetFlow-enabled interfaces.

The 15 interface license has a restriction that allows you to manage only up to 5 NAMs, whereas the other

Assurance license bundles do not place a restriction on the number of NAMs that you can manage. The 15

interface license can only be used standalone and not combined with the Lifecycle licenses. You need to purchase

a 50 interface Assurance license or larger to use with other Cisco Prime Infrastructure feature licenses.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/2-0/administrator/guide/PIAdminBook/licensing.html#pgfId-1059012

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott

manassin
Level 1
Level 1

Please go through this link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/5500-series-wireless-controllers/115756-avc-guide-00.html

I think you will get most of your ans here.

Thanks and regards,

Manas Pratap Singh.

Michael Burk
Level 1
Level 1

I was also wondering about your second question and the AVC doc doesn't answer it. 

As best as I can tell, Application Cumulative Stats are gathered since the last reboot of the controller, or since the last time they were manually cleared which can be done through the CLI: 

Clearing stats – This is possible through CLI [clear avc stats wlan | client < wlan_id | client_mac | all >]

I hope this makes the answer simple for the next person wondering. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card