Helpful
Replies

ASR 512K License

foad jalali
Level 1
Level 1

thank you for all your help and Support

about 9000 family routers i have a big question that I can't find any answer

I have  a ASR 9006 routerr  that i want to  terminate 512K subscriber on it  but unfortunately  I can't find any license about  512K subscriber

The only license that cisco offer is A9K-BNG-LIC-8K for every Slot or line card

If i have 2 line card that are A9K-MOD80-SE should  i  pre order  only 2 license  ? or more ?

And i want To know what is difference between asr9k-bng-px.pie-5.1.1  and  A9K-BNG-LIC-8K

And If i don’t want to get  license , does my router work as a BNG and how many subscriber does it supports without any license ?

Thank you again

50 Replies 50

Thank you xander for the elaborated answer.

1- How many pppoe subs I can terminate on the RSP itself? I mean without having LCs. Tough I don't think it's recommended, yes?

2- Is there any difference between PPPoE and IPoE sessions on ASR9K regarding the load on the LC/RSP, features, restrictions etc.? 

3- Attached is a scheme of what I have considered for a BNG of 256K subs. Is it correct? If I add two MOD160-SEs to the remaining slots, can I could on 512K subscribers?

hi amin,

rp based (or bundle based) subscribers can go up to 128k, terminated on the RSP.

ipoe and pppoe have no diff in terms of scale etc. only that pppoe adds 8 bytes so take fragmetnation or the accommodation of that into consideration.

in your current configuration, unless I mis calc, I come to 4x32k sub is 128k, but yes you can add more modX cards to get more sessions, but these need to be terminated then on the gig/10gig to terminate the control on the LC and not on the RP.

xander

Hi Xander, 

1- As of your first phrase, I can say ASR-9001 could support up to 128k as it's RP based but because of having just 2 NPUs,  it's limited to 64k subs. Right? Is there anyway to put extra 64k subs on the RP ?

2- I corrected the diagram and re-attached it. Now It supports 256k subs and can get up to 512k ;) 

PPPoE sessions are coming on port bundles of first two interfaces of MPA-4x10G s and the uplink traffic gets out from the next two ports. I believe as the port bundles are based on two interfaces of the same NPU, the load isn't sent to the RP. Correct?

cheers

Amin

the limitation for the asr9001 is the number of NPU's it has, 32k per npu max.

if you have a bundle over the two NPU's it would then bring scale down to 32k (since each sub is programmed on each of the bundle member NPU's.

when you have bundles, the control is delegated to the RSP, regardless of where the members actually are (same/different NPU or LC doesn't matter).

regards

xander

hi Alexander 

I'm newer in ISG BRAS and it's issues and I study the cisco ISG documents but I can't get exactly the matters I am very interesting to work with Cisco ISG features . For example we want to have destination accounting for our pppoe users or we want to have some advertisement in first of user pppoe sessions or we want to put some of users in different vrf or we want to apply some different QOS for some special destination address how to do these with BRAS. I have some information about basic pppoe scenarios and implementation in cisco 7206vxr.

regards

Mehdi noori

hi medhi,

all possible! you're looking at an http redirect scenario, the users dont even have to be in a different vrf for that. the advantage of using http redirect is that we can take the users request and send them over some place different based on the redirection target, this can also be based on the destinations they want to go to.

Once you decide that the redirection should stop we can remove that service from teh session for full access.

Same with QOS. this can be applied at will and modified at will also.

cheers

xander

Hi Alexander,

Thank you for your answer but how can we start working with ISG or IWAG ? we need termination about 170K concurrent PPPOE sessions in one ISG box through the one 10gig interface,which box and AAA server proper for this.could you please give simple scenario with related commands about how we use multiple http redirect.What is traffic and control type  in class map,  how and when can we use it.And one thing more can we use hotspot scenarios for 170k users scale.Is it proper with respect PPPOE scenario.If it is possible or you please introduce some good document about ISG and ISG scenario

regard

Mehdi

Hi,

I am totally confused because it clearly says that dual stack sessions take more memory. Dimitris said that he has one MPA on each MOD 80. This would mean that only one NPU per MOD80 is in use, right?

If this is correct than ha can have 64 IPv4 only sessions and 32K dual stack sessions?

Hi,

1. 32K dual stack sessions per NPU
  2. 2 x MOD80 in chassis
  3. 1 x MPA per MOD80 => 1 x NPU active per MOD80
  4. (b),(c) => 2 x NPU active in chassis
  5. (a),(d) => 64K dual stack sessions in chassis

Hi Dimitris,

I know about the 32K limit per NPU, but I think that because of dual stack (IPv4+IPv6) the number is cut in half. 

Please check the BNG scale roadmap above. Maybe I am missing something.

This is what I believe, after trying to figure it out and of course after Xander's assistance :)

Although the table above is quite old and the limitations have been probably changed till now, the limitations in the scale roadmap (e.g. 128K IPv4 sessions, 64K IPv6 sessions etc) have to do with the whole chassis.

The scalability of the modules/NPUs remains stable (32K sessions per NPU) but the whole chassis scalability is changing over the years.

So, assuming that the table is up to date, you can go up to 64K IPv6 sessions in an ASR9006 with the following configuration:

1. 1 x MOD80 + 2 MPA
  2. 2 x MOD80 + 2 MPA (one MPA in each MOD)
  3. 2 x MOD80 + 4 MPA (two MPAs in each MOD) - the chassis is limiting the sessions
  4. 4 x MOD80 + 8 MPA (two MPAs in each MOD) - the chassis is limiting the sessions
  5. .... (I believe you got the point)

the above table is still accurate for the moment. with lc based subs we can get 128k dual stack or ipv6 only. and ipv4 only on lc subs is 256k. these nubmers are system limits.

where it says in the table "with new hw" it means the TH linecards. This is currently what we are working on (BNG on tomahawk LC).

with the current Typhoon LC's we are pretty much capped by the LC CPU performance and memory. Tomahawk with a faster more capable proc (hex core intel) and more memory opens the door to more session scale. along with the RSP880's more memory capacity.

the dual stack piece (or v6 only for that matter) is merely seeing a cap due to the extra memory per session it consumes as opposed to a v4 only. For the hardware forwarding/npu, it is still a single session.

cheers!

xander

Yeah I got the point about the limit of the whole chassis.

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe Xander has something to say?

Hi Xander,

I have to be sure about the max. number of PPPoE sessions. You have explained it well but I'm still not sure about about this:

This is the setup:

ASR 9006

Slot 0: 1xMOD80 with 1xA9K-MPA-2X10GE

Slot 1: 1xMOD80 with 1xA9K-MPA-2X10GE

Two RSP440-SE

1. Every MOD80 has two NPU's, one per bay. In my case we have only TWO NPU's because of one MPA per MOD80?

2. In the BNG Scale illustration the limit is 128K for RP based sessions and 64K for Dual stack. How many LC's/NPU's are needed for this, or it does not matter because the RSP's are handling the session and LC are just forwarding the traffic?

hey smail, correct, in your config eventhough you have 2 NPU's per slot, you are only accessing one since you have only one mpa installed.

Each LC can support 64k sessions, with 32k per NPU. So per LC you need minimally 2 NPU's active to reach the LC scale of 64k.

Note that if you have RP based sessions, meaning access via a bundle, and if you have 2 members in your bundle, you'll configure the sessions on each npu that serves a member.

in order to reach 128k, you'd need 2 LC's and per LC 2 NPU's carrying sessions.

but that means for your hw config here, you can't have multiple members in your bundle.

cheers!

xander

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: