Helpful
Replies

ASR 512K License

foad jalali
Level 1
Level 1

thank you for all your help and Support

about 9000 family routers i have a big question that I can't find any answer

I have  a ASR 9006 routerr  that i want to  terminate 512K subscriber on it  but unfortunately  I can't find any license about  512K subscriber

The only license that cisco offer is A9K-BNG-LIC-8K for every Slot or line card

If i have 2 line card that are A9K-MOD80-SE should  i  pre order  only 2 license  ? or more ?

And i want To know what is difference between asr9k-bng-px.pie-5.1.1  and  A9K-BNG-LIC-8K

And If i don’t want to get  license , does my router work as a BNG and how many subscriber does it supports without any license ?

Thank you again

50 Replies 50

Hi Xander,

Thanks for the quick response. Just to be sure I understand you correctly, so at the moment 6.2.1 is available which has 192k sessions max, if I want to use all 192k sessions I need 2 LC's with 3 interfaces (which are assigned to 3 different NPU's) and at least 4 subinterfaces so I get a total of 2x3x32k = 192k subscriber sessions?

In version 6.3.x I would need 2 LC's with 2 interfaces (which are assigned to 2 different NPU's) and at least 4 subinterfaces to get a total of 2x2x64k = 256k subscriber sessions? What is the planned release date for 6.3.1?

Kind regards, Sebastiaan

hi sebastiaan, 

correctly summarized!! XR 6.3.1 is scheduled for end of august/early september this year.

also besides hardware based BNG, you can also consider vBNG as a virtual machine supporting 32k subs per socket (CPU). there would be no restriction to the subinterfaces (since that qos chunking referred to is tomahawk/typhoon npu specific).

cheers!

xander

Hi Xander,

I am glad that vBNG is coming out soon. I need some information from you so I can start to introduce this solution to our customer.

1. Are there any major differences feature wise between  vBNG and HW BNG?

2. Will 6.3.1 be ready for production?

3. Do you have any pdf, ppt so similar where vBNG is explained in more detail?

The customer does not have any special requirements. I will write a few that a crucial.

1. Is accounting broadcast supported?

2. Is LI supported? Customer is using RP based sessions because of SNMP LI (not working on LC based sessions)

3. What about PWHE, can it work on vBNG or is special HW necessary? 

hi Smail,

plan is to have full feature parity with ASR9k BNG, but it will come in phases.

As vBNG deployment scenarios will likely be slated towards centralised BNG, PWHE is a key element in the roadmap. However, it's not going to be available in 6.3.1. In 6.3.1 we support IPoE v4/v6/DS.

The exact roadmap may change. Please do reach out to your account team at Cisco through which we can give you an insight into the current roadmap.

If you have a UCS or any other platform that has sufficient RAM and CPU cores to run XRv9k, you could pick up the 6.3.1 EFT image and give it a try in the lab. For best performance we recommend UCS, but other Intel platforms can be used as well. Let me know if you want to give it a run in the lab.

XRv9k installation guide:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/virtual-routers/configuration/guide/b-xrv9k-cg/b-xrv9k-cg_chapter_01000.html

/Aleksandar

Thanks Aleks.

I was hoping that PPPoE will be supported because the customer does not have any plans to switch to IPoE. My idea was to bring up a XRv so that the customer can do some testing with us.

I will reach out to our local AM and ask for the roadmap. I have to have the right information so I can propose this solution to our customer for the next procurement.

XRv9K is already running in my lab setup for testing. For now only for some routing tests.

Hi Aleksandar,

The roadmap and release schedule was posted somewhere on the support forums but somehow I can't find it anymore. Guess I should've bookmarked it or maybe it has been removed. If I remember correctly, there was mention of L2VPN support coming to 6.3.1 and 6.3.1 was scheduled for Q3Y2017 release but I can't remember the details. We've passed Q32017 and 6.2.25 is available now so I'm guessing the release target was missed. If so, is L2VPN contained in 6.3.1 and is it still possible to get ahold of the EFT for our VIRL lab ?

Thanks,

Kimaru

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: