cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR package removal

tom.hutchings87
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question regarding the ASR platform.

Once you have completed the install add, install activate and install commit commands, you can then use the install remove inactive command which removes any unwanted packages.

However this would still leave any .PIE file formats in the Disk0: directory. Do these need to be maintained or can a .pie format be removed to save space after it has been installed

3 Replies 3

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tom,

Correct, the install remove inactive just removes the package directories and not the compressed .pie file.

You can use the delete command on an individual file such as the .pie file. On the RSP3 (RSP440) its not as big of a deal to maintain these as compared to the RSP2, but still recommended.

I also recommend copying files to harddisk: instead of disk0:, just my 2 cents.

HTH,

Sam

Sam,

Is there any specific reason for using the hardisk for copying as apposed to disk:. in commands ?

Thanks for the conformation.

Tom

Hi Tom,

disk0 can be used, but the main concern is disk space, that and the use of flash based media for many writes.

Its also better, at least in my opinion, to keep files separated, like in windows with one partition / disk for the OS and another for files.

There are other little reasons such as if you have to turboboot disk0 is formatted, but the harddisk is not.

Thanks,

Sam