Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR9K. disk0 and disk1

Hello,

We are going to do an upgrade on some asr9k´s from 4.0.1 to 4.2.3. Current IOS-XR software is installed in disk0, so my question is if it´s possible to install the new software packages (pies and SMUs) in disk1 and then to select this one to boot.

I wonder this because with the current 4.0.1 packages the asr9k does not have enought space in disk0 to install all new packages.

Regards.

1 Reply 1

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

First we should determine if you need all the packages available and if you have any redundant (superceded) SMUs installed. This way we can reclaim some space. As long as we can do the initial upgrade procedure (no 4.2.3 SMUs) then we will also have the option of repartitioning the disk (in 4.2.3) and reclaiming space on disk0 (see https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-34225). After this we can perform install remove to get rid of 4.0.1 packages and finally install SMU pack 3 for 4.2.3

It is possible to turboboot disk1 and have two different images on two different disks but I would not recommend this. We cannot do a direct upgrade from 4.0.1 on disk0 to 4.2.3 on disk1. Once you have a boot device you can only perform further install operations on that device, the boot device is determined upon bootup.

HTH,

Sam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: