Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CRS-X vs ASR9K vs 7600

Dears

Was checking specs for new CRS-X and would like your feedback please regarding ASR9K vs CRS-X

1- Beside CRS multishelf, why would someone prefer CRS-X over ASR9k ?

ASR9K seems to be more interesting as it provides 440 G/slot however CRS-X provides 400 G/slot. Also I believe they support nearly same range of interfaces types. To me seems reason someone would go to CRS If he already has CRS in network as in this case it would be more economic to just upgrade existing fabric/LC and go to CRS-X instead of getting new HW ASR9k chassis

What do you think ?

|||

2- Also it came to my mind that 12K provides only 10G/slot however 7609 provides 40 G/slot ... So does this means 7600 can be good candidate for 12K replacment espically that XR 12416 provides total capacity of 320 Gbps and 7609 provides 720 Gbps ??

Many Thanks

Regards

Sherif Ismail

3 Replies 3

mivens
Level 1
Level 1

I would talk to your account team about the future hardware and software feature plans for each platform and how that fits in with your requirements. I would not just consider the current system capacties. Things such as power, cooling, the technology used to interconnect the components with the need to keep backwards compatibilty mean each hardware platform has inherent scaling limits.

The current ASR9922 hardware actually delivers 660Gb/slot with fabric resiliency although there are not currently any linecards that use that much bandwidth. Publically available marketing slides already talk about the ASR being scalable to 1.2Tb/slot.

Remember that you need a revision B chassis for 400Gb/slot on the CRS. The "legacy" chassis is limited to 200Gb/slot.

If things like the high availability features in IOS-XR are important to you then a platform like the 7600 with its multilayer switch heritage and which runs IOS might not be suitable.

You could also consider the recently announced NCS 6000.

Between CRS and ASR9K: asr9k is more feature rich, and especially suitable for edge applications that require a lot of feature functionality. However it can also be considered in the core as it is a very cost effective solution too.

CRS on the other hand has a very powerful pps capability at the lack or expense of lesser features that you may (be interested in).

When considering replacement for the GSR; it probably makes most sense to look at ASR9000.

regards

xander

Dears

Many thanks for your replies/assistance

Regards

Sherif Ismail