Views
Helpful
Replies

does Cisco ASR 9K support PBR ?

Eric Guo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, 

I have a basic requirement about splitting traffic path when the flow are going to different destination, it seems a PBR solution as usual as IOS router environment as before, due to our routing setup restriction under our network. And I checked some related document  about PBR on ASR 9K, but I couldn't find exact command as " set next hope IP x.x.x.x" under policy map, so my question is: does the ASR 9K can do same thing as IOS based router ? or is there some converter setup about PBR for this requirement on 9K ?

or other idea or solution we could choose ? 

please share your idea if you could, thanks so much in advance !

Eric

4 Replies 4

Hello, replacement of PBR in IOS-XR is called ABF, 
here I leave a link where he talks about the ABF

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/145271/abf-acl-based-forwarding-asr9k

is, more easy to configured and flexible to the PBR of IOS. 

thanks very much for your information, fcacerescabrera!

I am seeking for how to write down this ACL syntax as match specific destination IP to first next hope IP , then send rest of traffic to other next hop IP, as we don't have and couldn't have  default route 0.0.0.0/0  in routing table, could you please know how to make it out ?

thanks,

Eric

Here is a config example on ABF. It is basically an ACL entry with a nexthop directive.

If the nexthop is not available, it is skipped. If you like redundant nexthops, then you can use EOT (enhanced object tracking), this is done via IPSLA. IPSLA requires the MGBL pie.

ABF is a regular ACL that is applied with the ipv4 access-group directive, inbound on the interface.

CFG

IPSLA config for tracker:

ipsla

operation 61

type icmp echo

source address x.x.x.(x-1)

destination address x.x.x.x !!(nexthop to track)

timeout 1000

frequency 1

!

!

Start that probe:

schedule operation 1

start-time now

life forever

!

!

Configure a tracker on an object (the ipsla probe).

we call it tracker 161 and it is looking at probe 61 (the previously defined IPSLA)

track 161
 type rtr 61 reachability
 delay up 5
 delay down 30
!

Access-list for ABF config:

ipv4 access-list abf

10 permit 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 any nexthop track 161 x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

this says that any traffic with 0.0.0.x should follow x.x.x.x and is tracked by tracker 161, which uses a probe from ipsla on that next hop and if that probe fails we use y.y.y.y

When ABF fails over from one nexthop to another it will do that until that other nexthop becomes unavailable.

regards

xander

thanks xander as well !

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: