Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

how to assign two RSP mgmt interface IP address on ASR9006

Hi all,

I tried to make one ASR 9006 two RSP Mgmt interface (Mg0/RSP0/CPU0/0 and Mg0/RSP1/CPU0/0) connected to one local management switch, since we don't have dedicated physical separated Mgmt network, so this local switch need to be piggyback into this ASR device one Giga interface. Then I want to  use VRF MGMT to assign one single network subnet for these 2 RSP Mgmt interface and the local switch connecting Giga interface on this ASR9006 device, in order to make IP connection for remote site access via L3VPN. But this ASR 9006 could not allow us to assign same subnet IP address on these interfaces, and we been told IP conflict.

so could you please share your experience if you encountered same issue before ?

much thanks in advance!

Eric  

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

hi eric,I am not quite

hi eric,

I am not quite following what you are trying to do, but the gist is that you can have them in the same subnet:

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:A9K-BNG(config-if)#do show ip int br | i Mgmt
Fri Oct 10 09:02:49.016 EDT
MgmtEth0/RSP0/CPU0/0           3.0.0.233       Up                    Up      
MgmtEth0/RSP0/CPU0/1           3.0.0.239       Up                    Up 

you can then apply a virtual IP over it so that regardless of which interface is used for forwarding you have them both as backup.

But if you are putting the mgmt eths onto the same access switch, then the only thing you are protecting yourself against is a cable failure. so there is little benefit to that.

the mgmt ints can alo be used independently and one of them in a vrf and the other one in global or what have you.

cheers!

xander

Xander Thuijs CCIE #6775 Principal Engineer ASR9000, CRS, NCS6000 & IOS-XR

Hi Xander,Thanks very much

Hi Xander,

Thanks very much for your response. 

we are kind of private service provider, we are going to setup L3vpn on top of our network right now. Once we launched l3vpn, we would like to convert our mgmt network from global RT into dedicated VRF RT with private IP blocks, this is main intention.  

Since we don't have physical separated mgmt network along with production network at each of POP, so we are trying setup logical- vrf segment, ( including mgmt-related loopback interface, mgmt interface on RSPs and local mgmt SW connected interface etc)  all together, then carry them over via L3vpn to communicate back with our NMS segment in our center office.

Actually, we have several question related to this purpose.

1, how to setup virtual IP address with these mgmt interface, especially RSP mgmt interface, by using HSRP or VRRP ?

2, how to configure SNMP on each ASR9k within VRF  and over  L3vpn to communicate back with LMS in order to get trap/notification/alert ?

3, is there any document describe these design topics, and XR platform as well ?

thanks, please let me know if possible.

Eric.

Cisco Employee

hi eric,few anwers, hsrp won

hi eric,

few anwers, hsrp won't work, and is not necessary, you can use the ipv4 virtual-ip,

guidance here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr9000/software/asr9k_r4-3/addr_serv/command/reference/b_ipaddr_cr43asr9k/b_ipaddr_cr42asr9k_chapter_01000.html#wp2613779351

in order to configure snmp inside vrf's, you can use the MPP or management plane protection, check the support forum article on local packet transport services asr9000.

I dont have a design guide for you in specific for this.

regards

xander

hi Xander,Many thanks for

hi Xander,

Many thanks for your information!

I read your LPTS and MPP document before, it is great article. But I don't understand what's meaning about  " no MIB support " under MPP section.

Also by reviewed SNMP setup on ASR9K device, does below configuration could be work properly with snmp notification receiver within vrf oob-mgmt ? By the way, loopback 100 is within vrf oob-mgmt as well.

snmp-server vrf oob-mgmt
 host 192.168.50.101 traps version 2c xxx
!
snmp-server community XXX RO acl_22
snmp-server traps ethernet oam events
snmp-server traps snmp linkup
snmp-server traps snmp linkdown
snmp-server trap-source Loopback100
snmp-server ifmib ifalias long
snmp-server ifindex persist
snmp-server trap link ietf
snmp-server entityindex persist

thanks,

Eric

Cisco Employee

ah yeah, and thanks!, the no

ah yeah, and thanks!, the no mib support means there is no lpts mib yet in which you can monitor the counters from MPP or LPTS.

regards

xander

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content