cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS-XR and WCCP

mflanigan021
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer wanting to use ASR 9Ks, and also needs WCCP.  As IOS-XR does not support this feature, are there any workaround?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I opened the bug for general visibility, may take a few hours for the tool to pick it up and present it to you, but it should be done shortly.

And that is correct, TOD/QOS is what this is useful for indeed.

And great to hear you found a solution!Very nice!

talk soon!

regards

xander

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

xthuijs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Correct, there is no WCCP and no plans for it either... :(

But an alternative could be MGSCP?

That means creating a bundle on the a9k side to multiple "hosts" and making sure we always maintain the flow on the member it exists on and only redistribute those flows from the member that failed (aka "server") over the remaining available members (~servers).

cheers

xander

Xander,

Thank you for the response.  I'll need to do some research - I thought WCCP generated dynamic redirects, so I'm not sure how this would work, but MGSCP is new to me, so I'll investigate.

We've also uncovered a need for time of day acls, which aren't supported either.  Any thoughts on that one?  They will have Nexus 7ks, which do support both WCCP and TOD acls, I'm just not sure of the feasibility of moving the functions down to that layer.

Thanks again.

This will probably help for MGSCP:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr9000/software/asr9k_r4-1/interfaces/configuration/guide/hc41asr9kbook/hc41lbun.html#wp1042921

And this for some generic info: https://supportforums.cisco.com/sites/default/files/legacy/6/1/4/102416-External%20MGSCP%20-%20Design%20Guide.pdf

TOD ACL's we are trying to make work under the bng subscriber context via: CSCuo98956

If you are looking for a security ACL outside of BNG/subscriber contexts, there are alternatives with EEM (embedded event manager) to modify ACL's based on a time/event as you like.

N7K and A9K are somewhat different platforms. N7K provides high density switching functionality, whereas a9k is a multiserver router with many switching capabilities.

Generally we see, in datacenter that is, a combination of both n7k and a9k whereby the n7k provides the l2 switching services and a9k participate in the switching and adding high scale routing capabilities (whether that be PBB-EVPN, PW's etc etc). Wanted to provide a bit more guidance on what platform fits where :)

regards

xander

Xander,  thanks again for quick response.  I should explain that our customer is enterprise, not SP.  They currently have ASR 1006, and are migrating to 9006 for 40GB capacity in their new data center.  That being the case, the BNG option for TOD acl isn't appropriate.  We'll need to check out EEM - I think that will be doable.  On MGSCP, it appears to be a flow control/protection solution.  My customer is using WCCP for WAAS, they have a pair of WAVE 874s doing compression.  Unless WAAS supports MGSCP, which I'll check, I'm not sure we could use it.  My apologies for confusion on that score - I'll check out WAAS capability now.

I see I see, and I apologize, I could have asked too to understand your use case a bit better, but I hate to answer a question with a question so I took a shot, assuming :)

so hey, I think the MGSCP can work for you the application doesn't need to support bundle or lacp or anything like that. If your target is to distribute flows over available processors (which it sounds like?) then this would fit. All those devices share the same mac and ip addr, and we rely on MGSCP on the a9k side to distribute AND maintain flows over those links. Sure enough WCCP is a bit more useful in this case especially when there are multiple L3/L2 dests, but maybe we can make this work with MGSCP also.

Ok yeah you have no purpose for BNG :) which means that leaves us with the EEM option for now. Check the support forums on the embedded event manager asr9000 for a write up on that: https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/59496/using-embedded-event-manager-eem-ios-xr-asr9000-simulate-ecmp-min-links

to get you started.

the trigger is the system clock and the action would be to send a few CLI commands to make the modifications you like on the ACL. This should be rather transparent.

regards

xander

Xander, I think we can go with EEM for the TOD, thanks.  Just one last question - the acls are used in QOS policy.  I assume the service policies will react the acl changes - i.e., they don't do any sort of pre-compilation or similar?

I'll need to research the MGSCP/WAAS some more, to make sure I understand the interactions.  Let me do that, so as not to detain you any further, and see where it takes me.  Many thanks for your advice.

Sweet that is good to hear on the EEM!

For the ACL used in the QOS policy you will need CSCuo98956 too.

I just verified that the CSCuo98956 situation is not confined to BNG only, it is basically an ACL modification when used in a QOS policy.

regards

xander

Xander,

As I cannot view the bug report CSCuo98956, it's restricted to Cisco, can you tell me if there is an ETA/release level set for it?  It appears to be a pre-req for any TOD or QOS ACL, if I read your comments correctly.

Also, we have determined that the customer will use 10GB modules in their WAAS appliances, which are WCCP only, so the WAAS will need to go in at the Nexus aggregation layer (which may be a better place for it anyway).  so that's settled, thanks for all your advice.

I opened the bug for general visibility, may take a few hours for the tool to pick it up and present it to you, but it should be done shortly.

And that is correct, TOD/QOS is what this is useful for indeed.

And great to hear you found a solution!Very nice!

talk soon!

regards

xander

Xander,

Thanks for your help

Regards,

Mike Flanigan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: