Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS TE loadbalancing over multiple TE tunnels

smailmilak
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I am struggling with MPLS TE tunnels and load balancing over multiple TE tunnels. I have achieved to have four TE tunnels to my destination.

I have tested TE metrics with admin weight and TE tunnel (e.g show mpls traffic-eng tunnels 2001) and all 8 tunnels have the same TE metric but when I RIB the metric is different. MPLS is using TE metric by default, and TE metric is copied from OSPF (except admin weight has been changed).

Playing with TE and also IGP (choosing path-selection TE and IGP) I got the same result. All tunnels have the same metric (path weight 10110) but in RIB the four tunnels that have one HOP less have a better metric, e.g. 10012 vs 10013.  

So, is it possible to have all 8 TE tunnels to BNG so that traffic from IGW to A9K PE1 is going on the left side and from IGW to A9K PE2 is going through the right side?

5 Replies 5

smailmilak
Level 4
Level 4

Autoroute destination did the trick. I have not eight next-hops to the Loopbacks.

Will test it next week.

Adam Vitkovsky
Level 3
Level 3

Hey buddy,

I feel like this question deserves some further explanation,

First, “TE metric” is used solely by the cSFP in order to route the TE trunk (tunnel/LSPs) to a destination.

It is used in cases where standard SPF (LDP LSPs) should route traffic using different path compared to LSPs routed by cSPF (TE LSPs).

And as you have found out, TE metric has nothing to do with the actual forwarding of traffic down the TE LSPs.

In order to forward traffic via TE LSPs there’s a plethora of options to choose from:

Auto-route (announce / destination)

Policy Based Routing

Pseudowire Tunnel Selection

Static routes

Forward Adjacency

Policy / Class Based Tunnel Selection

Autoroute Announce

It allows IGP to treat TE Tunnel as a regular interface.

However with Autoroute Announce the tunnel is used by IGP only on the tunnel head-end router.

That means the tunnel head-end router will not advertise this “shortcut” via IGP to anyone else and will keep it to itself as a secret.

Autoroute Destination

Static version of Autoroute Anounce

To install one/multiple static routes into the RIB and FIB pointing to an MPLS TE tunnel as next-hop interface.

You can tell the RIB to use a given TE Tunnel to reach one or multiple destination IPs

It’s like a static route, but configuration is done under the TE

Static routes

Same as Autoroute Destination

To install one/multiple static routes into the RIB and FIB pointing to an MPLS TE tunnel as next-hop interface.

You can tell the RIB to use a given TE Tunnel to reach one or multiple destination IPs

Configuration is done under static routes config stanza

Forwarding Adjacency or IGP shortcuts

It allows IGP to treat TE Tunnel as a regular interface.

And IGP can advertise the TE Tunnel as a link to the tunnel tail-end (a shortcut to a particular node)

So other nodes in the network can use this newly advertised link/shortcut in their SPF calculations

Use with caution as it affects routing decision on other routers in the network

Policy-Based-Tunnel-Selection

Static in nature

To install one/multiple static rules into the FIB, that can be used to direct traffic into an MPLS TE tunnel as next-hop interface.

You can tell the FIB to use a given TE Tunnel to reach one or multiple destination IPs

Configuration is done in policy and that is then applied on an ingress interface or on a VRF(all ingress interfaces in the VRF are affected by the policy).

Class-Based-Tunnel-Selection CBTS

CBTS supports tunnel selection based on the value of the EXP field that the headend router imposes on the packet.

Before imposing this value, the router considers the input QoS config. If the input QoS modifies the EXP field value, CBTS uses the modified value for its tunnel selection.

Packets may enter the headend from multiple incoming interfaces. These ingress interfaces can belong to different customers that have different DiffServ policies. In such cases, service providers generally use input QoS to apply their own DiffServ policies and mark imposed EXP values accordingly. Thus, CBTS can operate consistently for all customers by considering the EXP values marked by the service provider on ingress to the ISP network.

Pseudowire/AToM Tunnel Selection

The Any Transport over MPLS (AT0M) Tunnel Selection feature allows you to specify the path that a particular PW traffic uses. In other words you can map a Virtual Circuit (VC) to a defined TE LSP.

Attachment circuits are cross-connected to specific MPLS traffic engineering tunnel interfaces instead of remote PE router IP addresses (reachable using IGP or LDP)

This is configured under the PW config section using “preferred-path”.

adam

netconsultings.com

::carrier-class solutions for the telecommunications industry::

adam

Hi,

I did a lot of testing and somehow it's different than on IOS. Four, Five years ago I did a lot of TE configuration and testing and I was able to change the metric in RIB using autoroute announce metric X. 

Using other methods than autoroute announce are not an option because we want to keep it simple as possible. Not static routes, PBR etc.

Autoroute destination is a great feature and Cisco released it (6.1.2) at the perfect moment :)

Wow, I hope you have a very good reason to run 6.1.2 in production network :)

Anyways, I think the cmd you’re looking for is “autoroute metric”.

adam

adam

We are running 6.1.3 and it's still not in production, but it will be in a couple of weeks.

I have tried autoroute metric and I did not get the results I needed.