Views
Helpful
Replies

RSP880 vs RSP880-LT

Dmitry Kiselev
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Could you please point me to document which describes differences between 880 RSPs? TR vs SE are pretty clear, but I confused a bit with LT version. Seems it is newer than TR/SE, but seems it lacks some features/options. Usually BRKARC-2003 answers all such questions, but few last sessions have no any info on that.

Thanks in advance

19 Replies 19

Thanks for prompt answer!

I read datasheet already. Anything else except CPU (# of cores and freq) and SSD size?
LT is $10K GPL cheaper for TR and around $20K for SE version. I feel that something else may hiding beyond such price difference. Am I wrong?

Have you checked the ppt as well?

Niko

HTH,
Niko

Sorry, I forgot to add: my CCO account have insufficient permissions to access that file.

RSP880LT is supported on 9910 and 9906 chassis in comparison to RSP880, has slightly faster RIB learning rate.

Though it is not supporting nV-Cluster and 3rd party applications.

That is the primary difference (not mentioning core/SSD again).

Niko
HTH,
Niko

Do you know if a RSP880-SE would be able to run in a ASR9906 chassis?

RSP880-LT-TR and RSP880-LT-SE can be used in ASR9906 and ASR9910, but the regular RSP880-TR and/or RSP880-SE cannot. ASR9906 and ASR9910 have a mid-plane that connects the 2x RSP and 5x SFCs. The regular RSP880 doesn't have the required backplane connectors because it was designed at the time when asr9906 and asr9910 concept wasn't available yet. RSP880-LT was designed later, that's why it's compatible with ASR9906, ASR9910.

Thx a lot for your answer!!!

From my understanding, RSP880-LT seems more like reboot of the RSP440 line.  Differences are as follows:

- 880-LT has only 230G per slot fabric, so you won't get 450G/slot like on 880-TR/SE if you are running this on classic ASR9006/9010.  This is not a problem for ASR9910 and ASR9906, as RSPs on these devices are 230G/slot regardless (you use SFC-S/SFC-T cards to reach 1T+/slot capacity throughout the chassis on 9906/9910; built-in fabric for RSP is only 230G).

- 880-LT lacks the nv-edge sfp+ sync ports (removed because whole nV feature-set got recently EOL'd).

- 880-LT goes back to quad-core Intel CPU with higher per-core clock speed like on RSP440, as opposed to octo-core 1.8Ghz on 880-TR/SE. 

For 9906/9910 chassis, I'm not sure what rationale difference there is between RSP-T/S and RSP880-LT.  Built-in fabric is same regardless of RSP type, so the only difference is CPU... and... the lack of fancy red lights on where nvEdge ports used to be -- may be for that reason alone, I'll stick to RSP-S/T and not use the LT.  ;-D gotta have the red lights, hah.

Thanks JAmes,

One correction: RSP880-LT provides 230G bandwidth only for 9906 and 9910 chassis which is as per LC BW.

9904, 9010, 9006 are getting 440 per RSP with TSP880-LT, so  there are no restriction here in comparison to RSP880.

Niko

HTH,
Niko

Thanks to all for help!

Hi, 

I know that mixing -SE and -TR line cards is supported in ASR 9000 chassis with RSP 880, but I just wanted to know what is happening with operational mode of whole system when RSP880-SE is combined with mixture of -TR l -SE line cards, and in case of RSP880-TR and -SE line cards ?

Thanks in advance

Hi, 

I know that mixing -SE and -TR line cards is supported in ASR 9000 chassis with RSP 880, but I just wanted to know what is happening with operational mode of whole system when RSP880-SE is combined with mixture of -TR l -SE line cards, and in case of RSP880-TR and -SE line cards ?

Thanks in advance

Having an SE or TR RP and a mixture of SE or TR LCs is very normal and widely deployed. A lot of customers have SE LC facing customers and TR LC facing core, the RP can be SE or TR, based on the services and role of the box.

Eddie.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: