Views
Helpful
Replies

Subscriber connection problems asr 9006 5.3.0

Sharlock93
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

before I state my problem let me just say that im not a network engineer, I don't know detail of things but I have a general idea and understand some of things related to BNG and ASR.

so here is our general setup and the problem:

We use IPoE for our customers and have a radius server that does the AAA, each user has a different QoS policy based on the radius reply and all that usual stuff. 

lately and for sometime now, we have noticed that some of our subscribers have every proper setting like their Policy map is correct and the ASR sends proper accounting packets back to the radius server, yet the subscriber doesn't have any internet connection.

so far I have talked with Mr Xander in private messages and he suggested i make a forum post because I can't open up a TAC as we don't have a proper active subscription. His first suggestion was it could be:

A) a software bug and suggested an update to 5.3.4 (currently this isn't feasible for certain reasons).

B) it could be a forwarding problem and drops happening somewhere. he suggested I run

show controllers np counters all

the output of the command is in my reply on the first post, its an attached file which means it won't pollute the posts.

you will have to excuse my knowledge here as I'm just trying to be of help, while the others are also looking for solutions.

as far as I know DROPs are bad and some of these counters have large values. but I don't know what they mean exactly. any help would be appreciated.

4 Replies 4

Aleksandar Vidakovic
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The "show controllers np counters" was apparently hampered with because some counters are repeating and the rate of individual punt counters doesn't match the aggregate MDF_PUNT_POLICE_DROP counter. Please share the entire output of "show controllers np counters". You can upload it as attachment.

Xander had a very good reason to recommend a migration to 5.3.4. The quality of release 5.3.4 is far superior to 5.3.0. It will be a good return on investment to explore the ways to deploy 5.3.4.

regards,

/Aleksandar

Thank you for the reply, Mr Xander did mention that 5.3.0 is bit a "painful release" but our problem is that we couldn't find an install kit for our ISM card for version 5.3.4, the max was 5.3.3, thus we couldn't update it.

I have attached the full output of the counters. its a very strange problem to say the least. we don't even know where to begin debugging it more.

In that case 5.3.3 with the latest Service Pack (the latest one available is Service Pack 8) is the right way to go. Staying on 5.3.0 leaves the system exposed to many known and already resolved issues.

There is no smoking gun in the NP counters. Most drops are due to QoS policy action, packets received on (sub)interfaces in down state and some invalid IPv4 packet headers.

Thank you for your input Mr Aleksandar, after trying for a few days to forward this to our team and at least have them take some of them into consideration they keep saying that is not the issue or not related to it, thus I'm not going to do further follow up on it. as its just wasting people's time who tried to contribute.

Thank you very much for your time. genuinely appreciate  it.