Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade on CRS Multichassis

vdudlani1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I have a question regarding CRS multichassis upgrades that when we upgarde the multichassis do we need to have  code and all the SMU's and PIE in all the RP's or just in DSC RP's ( i.e ) Once DSC boots with the right code will it sync the new code and pacakges with other RP's as well ?

Thanks

Vishal

2 Replies 2

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Vishal,

An upgrade on a MC system is essentially the same. You need to use the 'install add', 'install activate', and 'install commit' sequence.

During the add phase the packages are added to the disk of all RPs and SCs (shelf-controllers), during activation the code is changed on all RPs and SCs and other appropriate actions are taken for other nodes such as CPU0 and SP complexes.. Then of course we have the commit phase to ensure that the code is persistent.

When a RP, for instance, boots up if it is not dSC it will contact the dSC and sync over package information. The same, kind of, goes for LCs. LCs will contact the dSC and get the information they need when they go to boot.

If you meant a turboboot of a MC then this is also similar to a SC (single-chassis) turboboot with 2 RPs. Only 1 RP in any system can be turbobooted as it needs to be dSC.

HTH,

Sam

Thanks Sam , That clears my doubts :-)

cheers

Vishal