cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will a new A9K-RSP-4G be also repartitioned when synching with an RSP that had a 'run repart -d' process done ?

sonia.claudia
Level 1
Level 1

To prepare for a costumer A9K upgrade from 4.2.3 to 4.3.4, we had to do a 'run repart -d' to increase disk space (from 1.5 to 1.8G) to accommodate the new software before removing the old one. We understood that now every new RSP that was installed in this network would require us to do a repartitioning first before placing the card in a production equipment. But, when we place the new cards (new coming from factory) in a A9K where a repartitioned RSP is already active, the new card will do the normal sync process and when it finishes it also has the 1.8G of free space. We have already tried it with 3 cards, and always the same outcome. Anyone can confirm if this is the expected behaviour or something else ?

5 Replies 5

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sonia,

We do not perform repartition actions on boot-up.

New cards from manufacturing may sometimes have newer FPD revisions or in this case be partitioned differently. The BU makes these changes every so often.

HTH,

Sam

Sam, 

so we may assume that from a certain date forward all RSPs came with 1.8G on disk0 ?

If we place a new card next to a 1.5G card (not reparticioned), after sync process we will end up with two different disk0 capacities on them ?

We were thinking that during the sync process and looking at the media trace outputs, seems like filesystem information was being synched also (please note that we do not see the new card being reparticioned, just a 'filesystem mount' message). So this is not correct ?

Thank you for your reply !!

Sónia

Yes.

Yes, that should not be a problem though.

A problem could arise if the active RSP is repartitioned and the standby that is syncing is not repartitioned; in this case if the active has around 1.8GB utilized then the standby which has 1.5GB available would be unable to sync. If this is the case and the RSP fails to sync up then we do have a ROMMON trick to make this work but its recommended TAC be on the call to do that trick.

Filesystem mount is a normal message. These messages just tell us if the various FSs mount correctly.

As another note, in order to repartition we either have to issue a command from CLI or use the previously mentioned trick to do the repartition. There is aROMMON variable for formatting the disk, but it does not trigger a repartition, just a format. Without any of these all the syncing does is rm's and writes to the disk, but not the filesystem/partition tables themselves.

Thanks,

Sam

Ok Sam,

so just a last question: is there a date or SN from which we can assume that the new cards come with the new partition/FPD revision ?

Thank you very much for your support.

I don't readily have that information available to me, let me check with a few folks and see if I can get an answer.

Sam