cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Small company router needs

joshdelcore
Level 1
Level 1

I just started working for a small company (20-25 people) and was wondering what would be a good router for them. They have a netopia now and have a T1 connection. The average user would only be surfing the web but they did just get an accounting package that they will use over the web. Any ideas would be appreciated.....and the cheaper the better, I would have to sell them on it. BTW what does cisco tech support cost per year for a router?

Thanks,

Josh Delcore

3 Replies 3

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Cisco support on a router, varies depending upon whether you want to get 8*5 support, NBD, 4 hour response, 24*7 etc. Usually ranges from 100-300 dollars a yr depending upon router model and type of service. (These are just round about figures).

You can go for the 800 series, as most of these recommended for small businesses <20-25 users. If you think you are right at the limit, you could look at the next higher series, 1700s or 1800s.

Here are some datasheets on 800s.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/index.html

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thanks for the quick reply. 2 more questions. I just got my ccna so I know the 2500 & 2600 routers well through the CLI. My questions are 1) what about the 2500 and 2600 routers for the small business and 2) the 800, 1700 & 1800 do they support CLI?

Thanks,

Joshua Delcore

All the routers I mentioned does have the same CLI approach for configuration. Some of the routers like 800 and 1800s have a new feature called CRWS (Cisco router web setup for 800) and SDM (1800) which is a web interface to setup the router.

2500s are end of life. 2600s will be soon EOL (may be in couple of years). 1800s or 800s (ISR) are the right way to start, as they have newer IOS, new features, better support which will last for atleast next 5 yrs.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: