cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phones randomly Rebooting

martynch1
Level 1
Level 1

We are having a few issues here with Call Manager 5.1 whereas the phones have started to reboot randomly, they have been fine for over 18months and to the best of my knowleagde nothing has changed on the network, below are the debug logs taken from the phone: -

10:53:13a 10: Name=SEP00260B5D595D Load= SCCP11.8-3-3SR2S Last=TCP-timeout

10:53:44a 10: Name=SEP00260B5D595D Load= SCCP11.8-3-3SR2S Last=TCP-timeout

10:53:44a 18: Name=SEP00260B5D595D Load= SCCP11.8-3-3SR2S Last=Failback

9:44:51p 25: Name=SEP00260B5D595D Load= SCCP11.8-3-3SR2S Last=Initialized

11:34:51a 10: Name=SEP00260B5D595D Load= SCCP11.8-3-3SR2S Last=TCP-timeout

11:49:42a 10: Name=SEP00260B5D595D Load= SCCP11.8-3-3SR2S Last=TCP-timeout

What would cause these timeouts?

Thanks

Martyn

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

The timeouts are most likely to be caused by network conditions.

If you are sure this is not the case then the server may be having issues... if  a reboot cures it there's likely to be some sort of bug or memory leak that is causing it to not respond. There is also a limit on the number of phones/devices that can be in the server subnet - so if you have 1000+ phones in the same subnet as the serves, the ARP tables fill up and connections will be dropped.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

The timeouts are most likely to be caused by network conditions.

If you are sure this is not the case then the server may be having issues... if  a reboot cures it there's likely to be some sort of bug or memory leak that is causing it to not respond. There is also a limit on the number of phones/devices that can be in the server subnet - so if you have 1000+ phones in the same subnet as the serves, the ARP tables fill up and connections will be dropped.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thanks for the reply, is there anyway I can find any logs either from the switch or RTMT to help solve this problem, I

noticed that when I ping out CalManager from my Desktop I get 100% sucess, how ever if I ping from our switch on site where the phones are I get 5 responses then drops a packet, it follows a pattern so I wondering if this should be the case.

Thanks

Martyn

PS only 403 registered phones and average of 20 calls

how ever if I ping from our switch on site where the phones are I get 5 responses then drops a packet,

That is normal, by design phones rate limit ping responses,

Phones are still bouncing today, I want to run wireshark to see if thatr picks anything up but wondering how to set it up.

At the minute Im just plugged into the PC port of the IP phone and capturing everything, is that the correct way to go.

Thanks

Martyn

Hi

Sounds like a good start - as the traffic is TCP, if there is trouble with the communication you are likely to see retransmissions from the client when it tries to send keepalives..

Regards

Hi and thanks for the reply, couple of questions

Would you put any filters on wireshark

Will wireshark captures all the phone vlan traffic if my PC is in the Data vlan

Thanks again

Martyn

Hi

Well - if you are just interested in Phone-CCM traffic, you can filter the capture so that you don't pick up all the PC stuff. Probably sensible if you will leave the cap running all day.

Something like this would filter based on source/dest IP:

ip.addr == 192.168.0.0/24 || ip.addr == 192.168.1.0/24

Substitute your phone and CCM server subnets to just get traffic from those source/dests.

When you click the Start icon, instead of just clicking Start again to get a default capture, hit Options. Set up the Capture files bit to write the data out to multiple file every 30 minutes or so instead of just piling it all into memory until your PC falls over.

Finally - you would want the 'PC Voice VLAN Access' and 'SPAN to PC Port' options checked on the handset device page in CCM, then Reset. WHen you start the capture, verify you can see the packets.... You should see SCCP (filter keyword is just 'skinny') whenever you do things on the handset, and when you make a call should see lots of RTP (filter 'rtp').

Regards

Aaron

Can you beleive it, no reboots since I have been monitoring...

Of course not... just leave that packet cap running forever and all will be well :-)

Cought one yesterday just before I left for home.

545 49.457337 172.28.113.21 172.29.3.10 TCP 50015 > cisco-sccp [RST, ACK] Seq=37 Ack=25 Win=8192 Len=0

Also there were a couple of:

543 48.843708 172.28.113.21 172.29.3.10 SKINNY [TCP Retransmission] KeepAliveMessage

Thanks

Martyn

Hi there

So these traces suggest that the keepalives aren't being ACKed, so are being retransmitted... most likely due to network conditions.

Do you have a QoS enabled WAN?

If you're still not sure if it's WAN conditions, you can trace from both ends and see whether the keepalives sent by the phone actually turn up on the server..

On a linux CCM you can do:

utils network capture file host ip size all count 100000

Then the CLI will block until you hit the 'count' number of packets or press CTRL+C. You can retrieve the file using the RTMT trace/log collection page...

Regards

Aaron         

Hi Aaron Harrison,

I have same issue with local LAN. But, my network is subnet 20 ( 255.255.240.0). Do you have any ideas for my case?

Thuc

Steve Radogna
Level 1
Level 1

Martyn,

Did you ever get this issue resolved?

I am having the exact issue

Thanks,

Steve

dsobrinho
Level 9
Level 9

Hi guys,

Does anybody knows how to resolved this issue?

Best Regards

Daniel

Daniel Sobrinho
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: