cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect removes "Connections" tab from IE Settings

fdouble08
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ASA 5510 that we use for SSL VPN Client access.  The ASA distributes the AnyConnect (v2.4.1012) client installation.  The problem I'm running into os that the AnyConnect client removes the "Connections" tab from Internet Explorer settings dialogue whenever the AnyConnect client is connected.  It re-enables it on a graceful disconnect of the VPN client.  The trouble arises when a user abruptly closes the AnyConnect VPN client. The "Connections" tab is left hidden and subsequent connect/disconnects of the VPN client do not restore it.  This is very frustrating for our users as they are instructed to go the "Connections" tab to disable their proxy settings before attempting to run the VPN client so that it can reach the VPN server.  Then they are supposed to re-enable their proxy settings afterwards.  Not being able to access the settings tab sort of throws a wrench into the whole process.

I've discovered that the AnyConnect client creates a registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel]
"ConnectionsTab"=dword:00000001
The dword value that it assigns is 1.  This tells the IE settings menu to hide the "Connections" tab.  You can edit the registry with regedit and set the value to "dword:00000000" and the Connections tab will no longer be hidden.  When you gracefully exit the AnyConnect client and it has created the key with a value of "dword:00000001" it will remove the key from the registry.  You won't find the key in existence when the AnyConnect client is not running.  If you add the key using regedit while the AnyConnect client is not running and set the value to "dword:00000000", from that point on the AnyConnect client will no longer modify this key.  It will only create/delete the key if it is not present when the AnyConnect client is started.
My problem is that I don't want to have to modicy the registry on each of the hundreds of computers in my organization.
Does anyone know of another way, possibly through the ASA's VPN client customization, that it can be configured to leave the IE "Connections" tab alone?
Thanks!
6 Replies 6

jjstok001
Level 1
Level 1

We have the same problem. Any Cisco reps care to chime in? We are using

AnyConnect 2.3.2016.

This is a bug with AnyConnect when the IE lockdown feature is enabled.  You will need to upgrade to the latest 2.5 client to resolve.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCtf16698

Is there an official acknowledgement from Cisco I can pass along to our admins?

If it's in that link you posted, I don't have access to it.

Thanks

To see the bug Todd mentioned go to cisco.com and click on the Support tab. On the next page youll see the link to the bug toolkit. Use ID CSCtf16698

I cannot.

Your Cisco Guest Login is not entitled to use Bug Toolkit.

Registered Customers and Partners may register for access
here

Got version 3.0.10057 and still experiencing the same issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: