cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to upgrade license in stacked C3570E

kokhong.chew
Level 1
Level 1

I have never upgrade the license in 2 stacked C3750 running IOS 12.2(35)SE5 before, please kindly advise.

Do I need to upgrade both switch individually or just upgrade the master unit and it distribute to the member switch ?

11 Replies 11

Shashank Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

License can be upgraded on all the stack members through the stack master CLI.

In software releases earlier than Cisco IOS Release 12.2(46)SE, enter the license clear license-level [switch switch-num] privileged EXEC command.

Use the license-level parameter to specify the software license to remove.

Use the switch switch-num parameter to specify the stack member. The switch switch-num option is supported only on Catalyst 3750-E switches.

In Cisco IOS Release 12.2(46)SE or later, if the software license is in use (active):

Enter the license boot level license-level global configuration command to specify a license level different from the current one.

Restart the switch to enable new software license.

Enter the license clear license-level [switch switch-num] privileged EXEC command to remove previous software license.

Steps for installing Software Licenses Using the Cisco IOS CLI are available at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750e_3560e/software/release/12.2_46_se/configuration/note/swactivn.html#wp67584

Hope this helps.

Shashank.

Please rate this answer if you found the content useful

Hi Shashank

First time am hearing about License for switch. Can u explain me on what circumstances we have to go for license. Upto my knowledge, the license is builtin with IOS device and i had not updated it separately.

Thanks.

Hi,

With all new Cisco 3750 series and 3560 series, when you purchase the switch it comes for IP base license.  Now, if you want to have full routing capability, Multicast, etc... on your switch, it requires you to have IP services license.  In order to get IP services activated on your switch you need to buy a license for it.  This is new way of doing business with Cisco.

HTH

Reza

Hi Shashank.

Thanks for the reply but sorry that i still don't get you. Are you saying that the license need to be install only in the master stack unit and then use the license clear to remove the current license in the master and member switch so as to activate the new upgraded license installed ?

Appreciate you can provide the step-by-step procedure if possible.

Hi

Anyone upgrade and install the license in C3750E stack before ?

Please advise as below ?

1) upload the new license file into the respective switch flash

2) install their respective new license in the master and member switches separately

3) restart the switches

Thanks in advance . . . i really need to get them upgrade fast as i can't google any related so far . . .

Shashank Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You can follow these steps:

1) copy the license file on all the switches in the stack.

for stack member (say member X), copy flash: flashX:

2)install the license on all switches

license install file-sys:file-sys//lic-location

example:

for stack master, licence install flash:license.xml

for stack member (say member X), license install flashX:license.xml

3)Optional (in case you have multiple licenses installed or havent cleared the previous license)

license boot level license-level [switch switch-num]

example:

for stack member (say member X and the new license is ipservices), license boot level ipservices switch X

4)"show license detail" to check the license installed.

5)Restart the switch.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any doubts.

Shashank.

Hi Shashank

I need to clarify your steps as highlighted in red

You can follow these steps:

1) copy the license file on all the switches in the stack. - individual switch license is unqiue due to PID and UDI so their corresponding license to be copy to the respective switch ?

for stack member (say member X), copy flash: flashX:

2)install the license on all switches - to perform all license install on the master switch or each individual switch physically ?

license install file-sys:file-sys//lic-location

example:

for stack master, licence install flash:license.xml  - is license file with extension .lic the same as license xml ?

for stack member (say member X), license install flashX:license.xml

3)Optional (in case you have multiple licenses installed or havent cleared the previous license)

license boot level license-level [switch switch-num]

example:

for stack member (say member X and the new license is ipservices), license boot level ipservices switch X

4)"show license detail" to check the license installed.

5)Restart the switch.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any doubts.

Shashank.

For Question 1:

In a stack, even though the UIDs are different, you only need it for the master

For Question 2:

In a stack, you only need to install the licence on the master not individual switches

is license file with extension .lic the same as license xml ?

No, the license is a very small text file.

Make sure the extention is llc.

HTH

Reza

Hi Reza, thanks for the reply.

I like to clarify that only 1 license require ? to be install in the master switch only ?

How about failover if master switch down ? the member elected as the new master switch able to perform those features as per license without the license installed in it ?

For Question 1:

In a stack, even though the UIDs are different, you only need it for the master

For Question 2:

In a stack, you only need to install the licence on the master not individual switches

is license file with extension .lic the same as license xml ?

No, the license is a very small text file.

Make sure the extention is llc.

HTH

Reza

I tried this on 2 3750-X switches with one master and one member. When master was down the member would take over with the same functionality

It should be the same for 3750-E series.

Hi Reza

Could it be due to the IOS version ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: